A Committee To Watch Money

By The CRIMSON Staff

Professors in the Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS) have never been particularly enamored of the central administration. And that relationship now appears to be getting worse.

Listening to the reactions of faculty this past week, after the Corporation's decision on benefits, one could not miss the wide-spread frustration.

In the words of McKay Professor of Mechanical Engineering Frederick H. Abernathy, "They have rather forcefully told us to go back to teaching, that they'll be responsible for this place."

The response of FAS throughout the entire benefits controversy over the past year has been noticeably more virulent than that of the University's other faculties. It seems that while the faculty of the Graduate School of Education and the School of Public Health were well-informed as to what was going on during the entire benefits process, FAS was taken aback by the task force's recommendations last year.

While we believe there are many factors causing the difference, one major reason appears to be the quality of information that the various faculties receive.

To this end, we believe the proposal to form an FAS committee that would monitor the Central Administration budget is a step in the right direction for the faculty. Though it would not have had an effect on the benefits situation, since it only deals with major budget projects, it would still provide an avenue to avoid other blow-ups.

The committee would report to Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles and advise him on what to tell President Neil L. Rudenstine. But while this move would provide another avenue for the faculty to voice its opinion, it is unlikely it have any major effect on the way Harvard does business.

Because of the University's structure, all budget decisions go through the central administration. While the faculty could potentially advise the budget process, it will never control it in the way Coolidge Professor of History and Economics David S. Landes would like them to.

For those who don't remember, Landes launched into a tirade at the February faculty meeting condemning the central administration's past endeavors like the medical school power plant and the Inn at Harvard.

While many doubted the validity of his charges, it seems many faculty are taking them more seriously these days. There has definitely been a history of FAS not having input on major central administration decisions and it appears unlikely that will change.

The faculty can, however, take a step to keep up on budget matter, and perhaps through a committee's vigilance they can be more successful. No matter, it will keep them more informed, and that is a small step towards avoiding another benefits fiasco.