Health Risks Are Faced By Overweight Women

By Amita M. Shukla

Overweight women are at higher risks for death from heart disease, cancer and other fitness-related illnesses, according to a study authored by researchers at a Harvard-affiliated hospital and released yesterday.

The study, which was published in yesterday's edition of the New England Journal of Medicine, says one in three non-smoking women who are stricken with cancer develop the disease due, at least in part, to extra weight.

The study follows up earlier work by researchers at Brigham and Women's Hospital and other affiliates of the Medical School and School of Public Health.

According to the lead author of the study, Dr. JoAnn E. Manson, who is an endocrinologist and co-director of the women's health program at Brigham and Women's Hospital, weight gain outside of an ideal weight range at any age significantly increases chances of an early death.

According to the study, women whose weights are at least 15 percent lower than average for their age groups have the lowest mortality rates of all.

Manson and her colleagues spent the last 16 years studying the weights and health of 115,195 nurses, aged 30 to 55.

"Even mild to moderate over-weight is associated with a substantial increase in risk of premature death," Manson said in a press release issued yesterday.

At the same time, Manson emphasized that women, especially college-aged women, should "not strive for super-model leanness."

She said it was important for younger women not to get the wrong idea--thin does not always equal healthy, and she urged women to balance fitness with the risk of developing an eating disorder like anorexia or bulimia.

"One of the reasons this study has more concern is because it's about women," said Nhi-Ha T. Trinh '95, a peer counselor for Eating Concerns Hotline and Outreach (ECHO). "It's different for women because they are more to having eating disorders."

Weight gain in small increments--like 10 or 15 pounds--should only serve as a "warning signal," not a cause for worry in itself, Manson said.

"It is more important to adopt healthy lifestyle practices such as regular physical activity and a heart-healthy diet," Manson added. "Such habits will invariably lead to a lower body weight if maintained in the long term."