Gridders to Brush With Colgate

By Matt Howitt

When the Harvard football team steps onto the field for its second game of the season on Saturday, it will be the first time in 16 years that the Crimson so with a losing record.

Instead of a 1-0 record and rousing--but predictable--win over Ivy league doormat Columbia, the Crimson shepherd a 0-1 record and a flock of pessimistic Harvard disciples to Andy Kerr Stadium in Hamilton, NY at 1:00 p.m. Saturday to face Patriot league opponent Colgate (0-2).

Columbia's last-second, come-from-behind victory last week was painful," in the words of Harvard coach Tim Murphy, because the Crimson looked strong during the game--stronger than last season, at least--and because the victory slipped out of Harvard's grasp in the waning moments. In the first half of the game, the Harvard offense moved the ball with while the young defense looked solid, albeit inexperienced.

The key words in the previous sentence are "in the first half." The Harvard offense was anemic in the air and on the ground in the second stanza. And although it shut out Columbia in the third quarter, the defense could not prevent Columbia's offense from scoring on its final drive.

"I think the word of the week is consistency," Murphy said. "We have to be more consistent from game to game, quarter to quarter, half to half. We have the potential to be a solid offense, but consistency is key."

Colgate's weak offense aids the Crimson defensive formula. Colgate has a poor passing game (74 yards per game) and a schizophrenic quarterback scheme--a rotation between senior Ian Prisuta and sophomore Mark Lindell.

Harvard is focusing on the Red Raiders' tailback-fullback tandem of Jamal Patterson and Daymon Smith. The two's combined average of 146 yards per game should make it a gritty contest, especially if the weather is poor as is predicted.

"Obviously, Colgate is not a tremendous offensive football team," Murphy said. "We have got to get after the run and put them in situations that they are not comfortable, especially third and long. That is not an easy thing to do, but we must shut down the running game to win."

While Colgate wants to use its running game to keep the Harvard offense off the field, the Crimson and Murphy want more snaps and more opportunities. In the second half against Columbia, Harvard got away from its offensive bread-and-butter--the running game--because Columbia's blitzing continually yielded man coverage.

"We have to crank up the running game," Murphy said. "We are always going to mix the run and the pass--that's our M.O. But we want to get more snaps. We only had 65 against Columbia, and we would like 80. If we can get more snaps, it will be a lot easier to throw."

Harvard had no injuries after facing Columbia a week ago, but the Crimson suffered a setback in practice when starting linebacker Brian Cohen went down on Tuesday. Senior Dean Fanikos will replace Cohen.

Notes

Powered by two touchdowns and a two-point conversion from backup quarterback Steve Kezirian, Harvard beat Colgate 35-27 at The Stadium in 1994...Harvard is 3-2 in it last five away games and just 1-7 in its last eight contests at home. Murphy's only career victory at home is courtesy of Colgate....Harvard and Colgate have lined up against each other in six previous games, dating back to the two team's first meeting in 1952. Harvard has a 4-2 series lead...Junior Dave Pazden, who's fourth-quarter interception set up the Crimson's 24-21 lead, is back at strong safety as senior Clete Johnson continues to rehab his shoulder.

Notes

Notes