Powell Bound by Constitution

TO THE EDITORS

David Lat's editorial column ("The Powell Doctrine," Opinion, Sept.19) claims that "Powell made no effort to take the war to its logical conclusion: the removal of President Saddam Hussein from power."

I would recommend that Lat read the United States Constitution, specifically those sections which establish and defend the hegemony of civilian government. Thanks to the wisdom of the framers, General Powell did not possess the authority to topple Hussein's regime on his own initiative--that authority lay only with the civilian Commander-in-Chief, then President Bush. Furthermore, the U.N. mandate under which the allied acted, and by which the allies scrupulously abided, only allowed them to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi control (which was accomplished) and it expressly forbade the overthrow of Baghdad by force of arms.

Regardless of how one may feel about General Powell or his potential candidacy for President, at least give him credit for having read the U.S. Constitution--which is more than can be said for Mr. Lat. Christopher D. H. Row,   Resident Tutor in Kirkland House