Reed Heckled By Protesters

Coalition Leader Keeps His Cool

By Paul K. Nitze

Amid a spectacle of hisses, boos, signs and occasional applause, Director of the Christian Coalition Ralph Reed urged Americans to support the growing role morality and spirituality play in politics.

Speaking before a packed house of 700 to 800 people last night at the ARCO Forum, Reed was calm and unfazed by protesters in his discourse on the upcoming election, drugs, abortion, civil rights and slipping social values.

"I want to thank you for having me back before the election, so I don't have to deal with [the outcome]," Reed quipped, as the audience chuckled.

Calling religion and morality the twin pillars of American government, Reed said the upcoming presidential election would set the tone for the 21st century.

"We [the Christian Coalition] believe that this election is a referendum on the moral fiber of our country and on the integrity of our leaders," he said.

Almost immediately after starting to speak, Reed was greeted by signs bearing slogans such as "Free Speech for Faggots," "Thank God for Ralph" and "Dykes Will Burn in Hell."

Reed said, smiling, "I know something about hostile audiences."

Officers from Harvard, Cambridge and State Police maintained a visible presence at the Forum throughout the speech, intruding only to remove demonstrators kissing after the speech.

Although he was careful to describe the Christian Coalition as a non-partisan organization, Reed cited various decisions made by President Clinton and his administration that he said contributed to the degradation of American spirituality and morality.

Reed quoted a New York Times article in which a 14-year-old girl said, about the president's alleged drug abuse, "The president did it, and he said it's okay, so I don't see why I can't do it."

Reed said he believes the Republican Party "Will retain a majority in the House and the Senate and will make gains down the ballot."

He accounted for the apparent discrepancy in his statement and most poll figures by referring to "people voting their conscience."

Reed repeatedly said the Christian Coalition is not targeted towards any one race or economic bracket, but instead attempts to bring together all races and all elements of society.

"This [decrease in moral values] is not a black or white issue; it's not a rich or poor issue," he said.

He frequently quoted the words of Martin Luther King Jr., Winston Churchill and John F. Kennedy '40.

Quoting King's "Letter From Birmingham Jail," Reed said, "A just law is a man-made law that conforms with the law of Nature and the law of God."

Questions ranged from the sympathetic to the critical, and in the case of Ann Seaton, a graduate student in the English Department, the emotional.

Seaton's voice shook as she gripped the microphone.

"I would just like to say how disgusted I am that you have invoked Martin Luther King Jr. and his heritage," she said. "My mother is white and my father is black, and 30 years ago they couldn't get married because of people like you.