HRTV Expands Its Staff, Increases Programming

By Theresa J. Chung

From a handful of people producing one television show in 1992, Harvard-Radcliffe Television (HRTV) has blossomed into an active, 150-student organization that currently produces eight shows.

This year, HRTV programs are screened every Tuesday at 8 p.m. at the number of showings held last spring.

"Every week, we have a new show being produced," said Jared E. Bush '96-'97, HRTV's president. He estimates that HRTV now produces four times as many episodes as it did last year.

HRTV trademark shows, like the soap opera "Ivory Tower" and the news magazine "Crimson Edition," are being produced more frequently. Plans are also underway for new programs including a music video show, said Madel N. Ilagan '99, vice-president of HRTV and host of both "Survey Says" and "The Common Room."

In the game show "Survey Says," contestants guess the responses of a survey of 100 Harvard students, a takeoff on the popular show "Family Feud.

Jae Y. Kim '97, who participated last week as a contestant in "Survey Says," said it was typical for a Harvard student."

Bush attributed the increased output to HRTV's new studio space in the basement of Pforzheimer House.

Before this year, HRTV operated out of a small equipment room in Pforzheimer and did most of its editing at Desktop Video Group, a commercial production facility in Cambridge, Ilagan said.

But this year, a patron's gift of computer equipment and television monitors has enabled HRTV to set up its production and editing site adjoining their studio.

Bush also attributed HRTV's increased productivity to a stronger membership.

"We have 50 more students actively involved," an increase of 50 percent, Bush said.

Between 20 and 40 students attend the weekly showings in Loker commons, he said.

"Hopefully, we'll attract 50 to 100 students...creating a base of support [at Loker]," Bush said.

Upcoming events include next month's Crimson Film Festival, a black-tie event where student-produced films will be shown.

HRTV also has plans for campus-wide distribution of its programs in the next five to 10 years. Bush mentioned "cable or fiber optics technology" as possible methods of bringing HRTV into dorm rooms.

In addition to providing lively entertainment, HRTV provides hands-on experience to those interested in film and television.

"There are a number of people interested in producing and creating their own television," said Amy M. Shavell '98, executive producer of "Survey Says."

Not limited to television, HRTV has grown to include video, animation, film and multimedia.

Kathleen I. Kouril '82, a former Crimson editor and current HRTV adviser, praised HRTV's efforts to "forge relationships with other organizations." Kouril pointed to HRTV's efforts to organize the Media Fair with other campus groups as an example.

"They're open to everyone and are always trying to build bridges among student organizations and departments," Kouril said