Islamic Scholar Speaks at Pound Hall

By Elizabeth W. Schoyer

Interpreters of the Koran should emphasize unity instead of conflicting views, Islamic scholar Mufti Syed M. Hasan said in an Islam Awareness Week lecture last night at Pound Hall.

"We don't want uniformity, we want unity," Hasan told an audience of about thirty five.

Hasan is the Executive Director of the Institute for Islamic Education and Research in Miami, Florida. In his talk, Hasan repeatedly stressed that Islam is a "universal message."

"The word 'Islam' is Arabic, but any religion has its language," Hasan said, "In following Islam we follow all the religions of the world."

Hasan also warned against dogmatic approaches to the Koran, which may divide rather than unify communities.

"When [an interpreter's] perspective is insulted, he'll start working against us," Hasan said, "This is how factions begin."

The lecture was sponsored by three campus groups, including the Harvard Islamic Society, the Harvard Islamic Law Forum and the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations.

Harvard Islamic Society president Irfan Siddiqi '97 said that he was pleased with the turnout.

"Tonight's event shows unity and support for Islamic Awareness Week," Siddiqi said.

Umair A. Qadeer '97, who is also a member of the Harvard Islamic Society, said that Islam Awareness Week is an opportunity for the Harvard community to learn about Islam.

"Lot's of people are ignorant about Islam," Qadeer said. "It's an opportunity to get a new perspective." Qadeer said.