Kennedy School Greets First-Year Reps

The next four days might be reminiscent of high school for about 50 newly-elected members of Congress, who will return to the classroom for some lessons in economics, mathematics, geography and public speaking.

They'll study ways to keep Medicare afloat and the budget solvent, to address senators and the president and to navigate between the House cloak room and the Capitol Hill subway--all in the hopes of better governing a nation of 250 million citizens and better-spending $1.7 trillion in federal taxes annually.

Fresh from their victories in the Nov. 5 elections, newly-elected representatives will convene for 12 strategy sessions hosted at the Kennedy School of Government between today and Saturday by professors, Cabinet members and fellow politicians.

A reception and dinner is scheduled for 6 p.m. tonight, with keynote addresses by Provost Albert Carnesale and Institute of Politics (IOP) Director Philip R. Sharp.

Then the fun begins.

Most members are paying up to $300 per night to stay at the Charles Hotel, I Bennett St., where they're greeted by an 8 a.m. continental breakfast, which precedes a full day of lectures.

IOP officials said they've worked hard to attract a broad range of speakers, thereby negating past charges by Republicans that the seminar has a distinct leftist bent.

Stanley Collender, managing director of the non-partisan Federal Budget Consulting group, will present an overview of the federal budget at 9 a.m. tomorrow. Then Rep. Robert Walker (R-Penn.) and Pat Williams (D-Mont.) will spar over the details.

Secretary of the Treasury Robert Rubin will speak on American economic policy, and a roundhouse discussion by Professor of Government Michael J. Sandel (a communitarian) and journalist George F. Will (a conservative) will close tomorrow's events.

Friday's speeches run the gamut, addressing the relationship between the executive and legislative branch, American foreign policy and environmental legislation.

A late-night bash hosted by newly-elected members of the Massachusetts delegation--all Democrats themselves--will end the evening.

Those who survive the party will be greeted Saturday by a 9 a.m. lecture titled "Devolution: A Discussion of Federal and State Relations" and a noon luncheon.

Among the attendees is Rep.-elect James Turner (D-Texas), who is the father of Eliot House resident John W. Turner '97.

Republicans boycotted the event in 1994, causing it to be canceled for the first time in its 24-year history