K-School Orientation Gets Bipartisan Support

By Jay S. Kimmelman

More than a dozen Republicans will likely attend the Kennedy School of Government's orientation for newly-elected members of Congress this year, ending speculation that they would repeat their 1994 boycott.

The orientation program, initiated in 1972, had been canceled two years ago after newly-elected Republicans refused to attend, citing the Kennedy School's traditionally liberal bias.

Most of the 86 new Republicans instead attended a seminar in Baltimore that was sponsored by the conservative Heritage Foundation and was held at the same time as the Kennedy School's orientation.

But this year, more than 40 newly-elected Congressional representatives will attend the Harvard event, including about a dozen Republicans, according to school spokesperson Steven R. Singer.

Singer attributed the 1994 boycott to the Republican takeover of the Congress.

"I think we got caught in the politics of the change-over in Congress," Singer said.

The Kennedy School has been working with leaders from both parties to ensure bipartisan support this year, according to Singer.

This year's orientation will include presentations from both Republican and Democrat leaders.

"It's always been our position to represent a full range of views," Singer said.