M. Swimming Tops Brown

By Maggie Jacobberger

The Harvard men's swim team left a long wake for Brown's seven-man team to follow at Blodgett Pool yesterday.

The 223-62 victory was only one of many for Harvard (9-1, 6-0 EISL) on its quest for an Ivy League title.

Since the Bears are in a transition year, the Crimson used the meet to prepare for the Eastern Championships in three weeks.

"Poor Brown was just starting from scratch this this year," junior co-captain Karl Scheer said. "It was more or less an intersquad match for us although their seven swimmers put up a fight."

Several Crimson had particulary strong swims. Freshman Greg Wriede was the "iron man" for the day, a tradition in which a freshman swims every race against either Brown or Dartmouth (whichever meet is at Harvard).

"He did just incredible for the number of events he swam," Scheer said.

"It was interesting to swim all 14 races, but it hurt like hell," Wriede said.

Sophomore Brian Younger touched out freshman teammate Alex Kurmakov by one-tenth of a second in the 200 freestyle, finishing with a time of 1:41.4.

Sophomore Rob Anagnoson flew across the pool in the 100 butterfly, touching in with his best time of the season at 50.8.

"His race was definitely one of the highlights of the meet," Wriede said. "It was just an incredible performance."

Junior Bryon Butts was strong in both the 100 free (46.23) and the 200 free relay, while sophomore Eric Matuszak was stunning in the 1,000 free.

"[It was a] fine-tuning meet before Easterns," Wriede said. "[But] overall, the team's performance was exceptional." Brown  223 Harvard  62