Penn Next on M. Lax's Plate

By James Castanino

The Harvard men's lacrosse team began the season on a positive note with a 9-4 victory over Boston College last Saturday, but an intensified level of play is in order if the Quakers of Pennsylvania are to be defeated on their home field tomorrow.

"Right now we are not playing the level of lacrosse that we are capable of," Harvard coach Scott Anderson said. "Our concerns come from the lack of opportunity to practice on a full field."

The less-than-cooperative New England climate and the lack of a full-size turf surface have put Harvard at a disadvantage against teams like Penn, which have been playing outdoors for several weeks. The effects of being forced to practice in Briggs Cage manifested themselves in last Saturday's game, despite a five goal margin of victory.

"We gave up a lot of our possessions, and ground balls gave us a lot of trouble," Anderson said. "When we're inside and the ball hits the ground, the whistle blows. That doesn't happen outside."

Co-captain Chris Wojcik cited a "rusty" transition game as an area in need of improvement.

"It was only our second time outside," Wojcik said. "I think we needed a game just to get our kinks out, and I think we did that."

The Quakers, at 2-3, are one of the weaker teams in the Ivy League, but that does not translate into an easy victory.

"Penn has struggled, but they are in the groove right now," Wojcik said. "If we can dominate on attack and keep the ball out of their hands we should be alright."

However, gaining possession of the ball will be more difficult than usual for the Crimson. Senior face-off specialist Pat McCulloch suffered a dislocated shoulder in a Wednesday scrimmage against Providence. His presence will be sorely missed against a Penn team with a strong attack.

"The loss of Pat is a big concern. He always gives a distinct advantage on face-offs," said Anderson.

Wojcik expressed similar sentiments.

"Losing Pat is such a huge loss," he said. "Now we are forced to have face-off by committee."

Despite these unfavorable conditions, the Crimson remain optimistic about tomorrow's contest.

"We should have a mid-field advantage, and Penn has a freshman goalie that they place a lot of confidence in," Anderson said. "The game is going to come down to possession."

Now that spring is upon us, the Crimson will have the opportunity to make up for lost time. Other than second-ranked Princeton and fourth-ranked Brown, there do not appear to be any sure bets in the Ivy League this season. But in order for the Crimson to capitalize, any remaining kinks must be worked out.

"Our attitude is to be ready for the season, and that's what we have to do," said Anderson.