COCL Seeks Explicit Standards for Clubs

Students Discuss Religious Organizations

Members of the Committee on College Life yesterday called for the College to explicitly define the requirements for becoming a University recognized organization and voted to create a committee to examine the issue of religious proselytizing.

At the meeting, the students requested that the University's requirements be better defined in order to limit subjectivity in recognition of new student groups.

They also proposed that individual students be able to obtain the same privileges conferred to official organizations, such as postering on University kiosks and reserving University space.

"All students should have access to a place on campus where they can speak," said Marco B. Simons '97, chair of the Undergraduate Council Student Affairs Committee.

The discussion at yesterday's meeting centered on the College's requirements for recognition of religious groups on campus and the issue of religious proselytizing.

The United Ministry, the umbrella religious organization on campus, currently has the power to recognize individual religious groups at Harvard.

The United Ministry denies recognition to groups which do not respect the faith of others in the Harvard community or whose practices include trying to convert members of other faiths.

Students on the committee said that religious organizations should not be excluded from gaining recognition by the University if they practice conversion.

But they said a clear distinction should be made between "inducing a student to change his or her religious affiliation" and harassment.

Rev. Stewart G. Barns, a member of the United Ministry and a special guest at yesterday's meeting, said the University's goal is to prevent students being harmed by religious activity.

"We are trying to create a safe space for people to express their views," Barns said.

The committee organized a sub-committee of E. Michelle Drake '97, Simmons and Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III to discuss and clarify the difference between harassment and inducement.

In other business, the committee discussed the College's alcohol policy.

Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 confirmed that University Health Services does not report the names of underage students brought in for alcohol poisoning treatment to the administration.

The committee also discussed campus security issues in light of the recent series of break-ins at Matthews Hall.

The security sub-committee reported that it is currently considering adding more lights in the Yard, as well increasing community policing and funding for Model Mugging and Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) programs.

Currently the Undergraduate Council sponsors RAD programs but the College does not.