Holyoke Center Shifts Focus to Information

By Malka A. Older

Harvard Real Estate is in the process of converting the retail space in the Holyoke Center to an area focused on Harvard information services.

According to Scott Levitan, vice president of construction and commercial and university operations at Harvard Planning and Real Estate, the University made the decision to change the function of the area because the shops were not performing as well as they had anticipated.

"A significant amount of money was spent to upgrade the arcade and there was a hope that it could be turned into a successful retail environment," Levitan said. "A number of stores that were there originally closed and Harvard had trouble finding new tenants."

"We determined that we needed to think of a new plan for leasing rather than perpetuate a concept that didn't seem to be working," Levitan said.

Many tenants, however, did not feel the same way.

According to Renato D. Reis, owner of an upscale men's accessories store in the arcade, the tenants left because the University had lost faith in them.

"People who have been here from the beginning are moving out because they're scared of the renovations," Reis said.

"I believe in this location a lot. I put all my money here. This is my first business," he said.

Levitan said the University would allow tenants to finish out their leases.

In the meantime, plans for the arcade are not yet finalized.

He did say that the University was hoping to make it a center for Harvard information and ticketing.

"We really want it to be a clearing house for information about Harvard," said Levitan.

Joe Wrinn, director of the Harvard News Office, said that while the information center is trying to boost its effectiveness with more use of technological advances, it is as yet unclear where the new displays will be located.

"We're basically trying to improve our presentation of information and doing it in a more interesting way," said Wrinn.

Although the office will probably expand into some of the areas in the Holyoke Center left vacant by retail units, Wrinn said the decision has not yet been finalized