IOP Fellows Prepare for a Semester at Harvard

Six Honorees Include Former Wyoming Governor, Clinton Campaign Manager, Washington Post Columnist

By The CRIMSON Staff

As the 1996 presidential campaign heads into the home stretch, students looking to catch its spirit can find it at the Institute of Politics (IOP).

The fall 1996 fellows include the chief spokesperson for this summer's Republican National Convention and President Clinton's 1992 campaign manager.

"These fellows bring to us a deep level of sophistication about politics and journalism as we engage the 1996 campaign season," IOP Director Philip Sharp said in a statement last week. "They will be a tremendous resource for our students and faculty, and for local journalists and politicians."

This semester's fellows, who will lead study groups, participate in informal discussions with students and attend classes and lectures, include: Mark Merritt, the RNC convention spokesperson; David Wilhelm, the Clinton campaign manager; Tom Gallagher, former Florida treasurer; Dorothy Gilliam, a Washington Post columnist; Eunice S. Groark, former Connecticut Independent lieutenant governor; and Mike Sullivan, former governor of Wyoming.

"One thing I think is particularly interesting about this group of fellows is that they really cover a lot of different angles. They really run the gamut this time," said Avery W. Gardiner '97, chair of the IOP's Student Advisory Committee.

"In terms of Republicans, Democrats and Independents, we've got all the bases covered," Gardiner added. "It's the most diverse group of fellows I've seen in my time at Harvard."

Merritt has also served as communications director for former presidential candidate Lamar Alexander. In addition, he directed Oliver North's 1994 Senatorial campaign.

The youngest-ever chair of the Democratic National Committee, Wilhelm also served as the Iowa campaign manager for Sen. Joseph Biden (D-Del.) and 1984 campaign director for Sen. Paul Simon (D-Ill.). He has worked for the AFL-CIO.

"We've got a very young group of people. They'll be able to connect more directly with undergraduates," said Geoffrey C. Rapp '98, Fellows Committee chair.

"He can talk to undergrads about how to make the transition from college and grad school into politics," he added.

A former associate editor of Jet Magazine, Gilliam also served as president of the National Associate of Black Journalists. She is the winner of numerous awards, including Columbia Graduate School of Journalism Alumni of the Year and the Capital Press Club's Journalist of the Year.

The first Republican ever elected state-wide to a Florida cabinet post when he became treasurer, Gallagher ran for governor of that state in 1986 and also served in the State House of Representatives.

Gallagher is interested in taking an acting class during his semester at Harvard, Rapp noted.

"He wants to explore the links between drama and politics," Rapp said.

A former Connecticut gubernatorial candidate, Groark has served in several municipal positions in Hartford, and as executive director of the Connecticut Bar Foundation.

A practicing attorney, Sullivan has served as chair of the Wyoming Board of Bar Examiners and was re-elected governor in 1990 by the widest margin in the state's history.

Gardiner said this diverse group of fellows, who are expected to attend the IOP's political extravaganza HYPE '96 next weekend, will provide valuable insight in analyzing the election season.

She said the fellows and students come into contact at Forum events, study groups and casual interaction at the IOP.

"A lot of it is sort of personal contact," Gardiner said. "You hang out and chat with a fellow for a half an hour."

IOP fellows, who are appointed each semester, include elected officials, campaign managers and consultants, political journalists and government and public interest group leaders.

"We are working to try to get them more involved in public service activities," Rapp said. "It would be fun to get the fellows out and working on Habitat for Humanity house or working on a PBH project."