The War in Worcester

Weld-Kerry: The Crimson Awards for Excellence In the Field of Debate

The "Andover Shop" Sartorial Splendor Award

Governor Weld--Flashy blue shirt and pink tie contrasted well with gray jacket.

Moderator Charles J. Ogletree--Harvard Law Professor comes in a close second with black jacket, multi-colored tie, and sleek black baggy pants.

Senator Kerry--Junior Senator is just that in the clothes department. The outfit has not changed since the first debate in the spring.

The "Losing Presidential Nominee" Award

Kerry--Senator linked Weld to Republican Robert J. Dole five times in the last 20 minutes.

Weld--Governor could only link Kerry to former Democratic presidential nominee Michael Dukakis three times in the last 20 minutes.

The "Brew Moon" Award

Kerry--"Governor, you talk more out of both sides of your mouth than the Budweiser frogs."

Weld--Told Kerry that if his name were "John Six-Pack instead of John Forbes Kerry," Kerry would have thought twice about his vote to raise the gas tax.

The "Beltway Blues" Award

Weld--"If you think people think Washington D.C. has been better managed than Massachusetts the last six years, you're dreaming."

The "Star Tabloid" Award

Kerry--"Governor, you switch your position more than your friend Dick Morris."

The "U.S. News & World Report" Award

Given to the plethora of political observers who gave the winning nod to Yale graduate John F. Kerry instead of former Adams House resident and Harvard grad William F. Weld '66.

The "Artful Dodger" Award

A close race between both candidates, but in the end the debate setting, Mechanics Hall, where Charles Dickens once read "A Christmas Carol," wins this one.