Harvard Reduces Operating Hours Of Loker Eateries

Getting a late-night mocha latte just became more difficult.

In a move that Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III called a cost-saving measure, the University has scaled back the hours of the Loker Commons restaurants.

As of Monday, the coffee house, pizza stand and Mexican kiosk will close at 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 7 p.m. on Friday and will not open at all on Saturday or Sunday. The complex itself will still remain open until 12:30 a.m.

To compensate for the shorter hours, Loker will be featuring a new stand called Fast Track. The store, which began operation on Monday, will be open until 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7 p.m. during the weekend. It will feature a combination of the best-selling items of the other three food vendors.

Advocates of the new restaurant said it will serve the needs of students more efficiently.

"Fast Track is a good idea," said Rudd W. Coffey '97, who served as a member of the advisory committee on Memorial Hall. "It is a self-contained unit that allows Loker to run on a skeleton crew."

The changes are the result of Loker reporting "substantial losses," according to Epps.

"People weren't purchasing much food after 7 p.m.," said Project Manager of Dining Services Alexandra McNitt.

Although Loker is often crowded during meal times, at later hours--when people were primarily purchasing drinks and dessert--the stores were losing money, administrators said.

"It takes an awful lot of coffee sales to keep us open and even begin to cover the cost of operating," McNitt said.

The changes are also a result of the College trying to make Loker better serve the needs of students.

"People complained that the lines were too long, especially during lunch," said Epps.

Fast Track's self-serve set-up and pre-prepared food is an attempt to solve this problem.

"People don't like to wait," said Serife Aydin, a cashier at Loker. At the new stand, "we try to be quick."

But even with the new store, students said they are upset about the shorter hours.

Many complained that they will not be able to purchase food until midnight, as they did this fall.

"There aren't many places in Cambridge to get food after 11 p.m.," said Hiromi Maeda, a second-year graduate student. "That's too bad."

Many are also concerned about other problems that have not yet been publicly addressed, such as Loker's service and rising prices.

Long lines at the existing stands are also still a problem.

Trevor A. Bullen, a fourth-year student at the Graduate School of Design, complained about the wait at the coffee house. "You might as well go to the Square and back."

Epps said this move is just the first of many more changes.

According to the dean, there are many proposals circulating that may soon be implemented to make Loker a more inviting place for students.

Ideas include adding couches and holding more events