Tragic Car Accident Claims Life

UNIVERSITY WIRE

By Jonathon Bagley, THE DAILY UNIVERSE

PROVO, Utah-A BYU football player died Monday after being thrown from a rolling Nissan Pathfinder on Interstate 15.

Twenty-year-old Terrence Harvey had been a BYU student for two weeks before the accident.

"We are shocked and saddened by the loss of an outstanding young man who had such great promise," said BYU football coach LaVell Edwards. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Harvey was traveling up I-15 with teammates Tony Fields and Roderick Foreman, said Utah State Trooper Wade Brewer. Fields, the driver, was racing another car carrying members of the football team from the north Springville exit. The accident occurred in Provo.

Fields was speeding in the right lane when a car attempting to merge onto the freeway cut him off, Brewer said. Fields attempted to swerve out of the way, but was blocked by an oncoming truck. Unable to switch lanes safely, Fields lost control of the car which, rolled several times.

Fields sustained minor injuries to his chest, said associate athletic director Val Hale. Foreman broke every bone across his hand and was scheduled to have surgery yesterday. It is expected that Foreman will miss the remainder of his freshman season.

Harvey was alive at the scene of the accident, but died at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. Fields and Foreman were wearing seat belts, but Harvey was not, Brewer said.

The highway patrol found prescription medication in the Nissan Pathfinder belonging to Fields, Brewer said. The highway patrol will refer the case to the county attorney.