Swing Septet Takes Hold of Pop Spotlight

INTERVIEW SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS

By Heidi J. Bruggink, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

"Why do people like us? Well, the whole swing scene is really taking off, but it's not only that. The Zippers play honest music, and people are into that."

This is what bassist Stu Cole has to say about the recent popular success of Squirrel Nut Zippers, a seven-member swing jazz outfit that has rapidly gained a loyal cult following throughout North America. The group's roots sprouted in 1993 when Jim "Jimbo" Mathus and Katherine Whalen formed a communal studio for disenchanted musicians in upstate New York. Their creative hideaway attracted an unusual array of artists that included a biomedical engineer, political worker, scientific repairman and professional gardener, all of whom were dissatisfied with the paths their lives had taken. This unlikely array of people soon discovered a common style of music, and with the addition of a few professional musicians, the Squirrel Nut Zippers were born.

Once they had formed a band, the members needed to find a name for it. Jim recalled the story behind the name of one of his favorite candies-the Squirrel brand's Nut Zipper bar. A 1920's newspaper article cited the tale of a drunken Vermont man who had to be coaxed down from a tree by police. When asked to explain himself, he replied, "it must have been the Nut Zipper," referring to a popular alcoholic drink. The Squirrel Brand candy company, located on Boardman Street here in Cambridge, decided that this would be the perfect name for its new product.

After all the band members had sampled-and loved-the Nut Zipper candy bar, they asked the Squirrel Brand for permission to use its copyright as their band's title. Assuming that the group wouldn't be around for long, the company granted permission for the band to be named after the candy. However, the Squirrel Nut Zippers have definitely not faded away. They have since cut two records and toured extensively, playing for thousands of fans across the nation.

"It's a trip; it's a rally," Cole said of the band's success. And the group's fruition has been more than helpful to the Squirrel Brand candy company as well: sales of the Nut Zipper bar have risen dramatically and continue to rise as the band gains fame. Speaking of the interaction between the band and the company, Cole said, "We have a really good, organic relationship. They load us up with mammoth amounts [of the candy], and we come back to visit the store whenever we have time."

Time, however, is not something the Zippers have much of these days. They've been touring almost non-stop recently, having just driven 20 hours from Atlanta to Manhattan at the time of the interview. The band played a show at the Orpheum Theater on Sept. 22, which Cole described as "excellent-the crowd was really enthusiastic, and we love Boston. Jimbo blew a whole month's worth of 'hell money' in one night there!"

Cole went on to describe his ideal situation, saying "I would hope that we'll have a touring schedule that we can handle and that allows us to pursue other interests as well as the Zippers." One of those other interests is Jim's recent tribute to Charlie Patton, with which Stu was also involved. Stu said, "We went to visit his family, and it was just amazing...Rosetta Patton was Jimbo's nanny, and she never saw any of the money Charlie made, so this album is kind of a tribute for her." The Zippers are also working on a rendition of "Under the Sea" for a re-release of Disney's The Little Mermaid, set to premiere sometime late next year.

Stu quickly went on to add, though, that the Zippers' unity is a priority for all the members. "We'll definitely stay together as a unit and keep that on the front burner. The Zippers come first."

The band has been together for a long enough time that its members are now able to concentrate on the finer details of their respective instruments and the way they fit together within the group. Je Widenhouse, the Zippers' trumpet player, cited Princess Leia's theme from Star Wars as his personal inspiration, saying "I'm all about it, man-there are quotes from that song on my trumpet every day, in everything I play." Stu described his musical influences as "the people I play with and listen to," and Widenhouse added a few of his more personal inspirations as well, mentioning Nicholas Peyton, Clark Terry and John Fadix, whom he describes as "trumpet players who are really out there."

With our interview rapidly drawing to a close, I asked Cole and Widenhouse in what direction they see the Zippers heading. Stu said, "We want to get into a cruise mode and keep going for a few years. Things are going great-I don't see how they could be better." He went on to mention the Zippers' new album, slated for release this spring. Some of the new songs from that album are included in the current tour and have been met with enormous support from the crowds. Je summed things up by adding, "the Zippers are one of the liveliest groups I've ever worked with. We just have this incredible energy that no other group can match.