Students Object To Serving Grapes

By Laura L. Tarter, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Annenberg Hall staff received 11 feedback forms yesterday relating to the decision of Harvard Dining Services (HDS) to lift the boycott on table grapes begun in 1992 because of student protest.

Ten of the forms were in favor of continuing the boycott; one supported lifting it.

An e-mail message was sent out over the weekend by members of the UNITE, a student activist group, encouraging students to send feedback forms to HDS complaining about the decision to begin serving grapes again in the dining halls. This decision will go into effect at brunch on Nov. 9.

UNITE is concerned about the United Farm Workers boycott on almost all grapes in California, which has not technically ended.

"If [HDS] is buying from a unionized grape grower, I approve," said Dan R. Morgan '99, a member of the Progressive Student Labor Movement. "If it's not a unionized grape grower, I'm concerned."

Other students support HDS's decision to begin serving grapes again.

"I don't know much about labor conditions, but aside from that, I've always liked grapes and I'd enjoy having them back," said Charles C. DeSimone '01.

Christopher M. Kirchhoss '01 said the benefits to students outweighed the impact of HDS's decision on grape growers.

"I understand the symbolic gesture of the boycott, but I don't think the consequences are of a great enough magnitude to warrent it," Kirchhoss said.

"I don't necessarily see why this means that we shouldn't have a source of vitamins," said Kate S. Fruman '01.

Another student said the fruit selection should be expanded.

"It's one step in the right direction," said Carol S. Choi '01. "Next they need strawberries and watermelons. I'm sick of apples and oranges."

"Bring them back," said Jack D. Lynch '01