IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS

A summary of views, commentary and sometimes comedy.

By Geoffrey C. Upton

It's Thanksgiving time again, and as we shove off to Logan Airport or South Station (or prepare for a quiet and quite possibly snowy few days here by the Charles), it seems a proper moment to run down a few things we have to be thankful for. So, tomorrow, be thankful that:

1. You're not running for president of the Undergraduate Council. This weekend, you'll be planning which movies and TV shows to take in--not which slogans you'll start plastering all over campus the minute you get back.

2. You're not a wannabe member of the Class of 2002. With this year's 8.6 percent jump in the number of Early Action applicants, more high school seniors may be disappointed than ever when acceptance (and deferral) letters go out next month.

3. You weren't one of the underage students arrested by those sneaky "Cops in Shops" for buying alcohol. That trusty fake ID hasn't let you down yet; be sure to knock on wood.

4. You didn't ship crates and crates of grapes 3,000 miles in a dramatic attempt to swing votes in the grape referendum, only to have the referendum put off by Harvard Dining Services. Can't wait 'til December.

5. You don't go to Yale. As if dropping out of the top U.S. News spot after a brief one-year stint, being prohibited from having sex with your professors and losing a third Game in a row to the Crimson weren't enough, poor Elis live in the 13th most dangerous city in the nation, according to a recent Money Magazine study. Cambridge didn't make the list.