U.C. Election Commission Penalizes Several Campaigns

* Citations handed down for improper postering in presidential, vice presidential races

By Jenny E. Heller, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Election Commission's (E.C.) crackdown on illegal postering that was originally designed to prevent posters of Undergraduate Council presidential and vice-presidential candidates from flooding the campus has inadvertently created campaign controversy.

The E.C. was formed at the end of 1995 with the introduction of popular elections for president and vice-president of the council. It remains separate from the council and oversees the election process.

"It serves as a neutral and impartial body to--ensure that no foul play is involved in the elections," said Lamelle D. Rawlins '99, council president.

Over the past few days, the E.C. determined that several of the candidates had not designed and hung posters in compliance with the rules of the E.C.

The commissioners warned several candidates about the violations, ordering them to remove posters from the campus, and penalized others by giving them negative points.

A candidate who receives 100 of these points is disqualified from the race.

According to E.C. Secretary, Adam S. Vaina, the E.C. penalized two presidential candidates, Jobe G. Danganan '99 and Michael S. Bush '99, and three vice-presidential candidates, Kamil E. Redmond '99, Andrew F. Ruggiero '98 and Lilly J. Epstein '00.

Any student can report an alleged infringement of the regulations to the E.C. which then deliberates them. Those who are accused of violating the rules cannot appeal to the E.C.

But Vaina said most of the accusations have been reported by members of campaign for Beth A. Stewart '99.

Rawlins said she thinks many of the teams are using the allegations as negative publicity for their opponents.

"Some of the campaign teams are out to get other candidates," Rawlins said.

Danganan also said he viewed the allegations against him as an attempt by his opponents to undermine his campaign.

"There's an opposition team out to get us," he said. "And they notice everything. This has been a horrendous ordeal."

He added, "I feel like I'm really targeted right now."

Vaina wrote in an e-mail that Danganan's campaign was penalized for breaking E.C. rules in several ways.

"The Internal E.C. Investigation alleges that Danganan and Redmond have posted 11x17 posters without the E.C. logo appearing on all copies," he wrote.

Danganan called this an "honest mistake." He said the E.C. logo was on the posters when members of his campaign took them to Kinko's for copying.

"There must have been a mix-up," he said. He referred to the penalties as a "harsh decision" for a mistake.

Vaina also wrote that Danganan and Redmond hung posters in areas of the campus and of dorms that are off-limits according to E.C. laws.

Danganan said Charles A. Truesdell '99, William M. Jay '98 and Noah Z. Seton '00 have been the most vocal in notifying the EC of his violations.

Seton, a member of Stewart's campaign, said he informed the E.C. of violations because he believed it was important uphold the rules of the election, not because he wanted to boost Stewart's campaign.

"Elections need rules or they won't work," he said. "I want to make sure there is a fair election."

Seton said his intent was not in any way malicious toward other candidates.

"I hope this will not strain friendships or relations in the [council]," he said.

Danganan disagreed with Seton's emphasis on the importance of these regulations, saying that the preoccupation with rules detracts from the issues being debated in the campaigns.

"This shouldn't be the focus of the race," Danganan said. "I just want to get past this--this is why students are discontent with this kind of politicking. This is not the way I work."

He said the E.C. should not be so anxious to dock points, but instead should simply warn candidates. He said he thinks the E.C. is definitely more strict about enforcing the regulations this year than in the past.

Vaina said the E.C. is trying to reduce the number of posters candidates hang around campus. The commissioners are publicizing the infringements to discourage candidates from violating the rules.

Other candidates have committed similar violations, but some of them have not been penalized, Bush said.

Bush said yesterday some of his campaign workers discovered a few of his campaign posters waded in the trash in Quincy House. Removing posters from the wall is a flagrant violation of the E.C. rules.

Vaina said the E.C. assigned Bush points yesterday for placing his posters over fliers for the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra and posters for other candidates.

Bush said the E.C. also penalized him on Monday for putting up table tents in Currier House without permission.

Bush said many of the other campaigns had similar violations but were not penalized.

"I don't think we should have all of these violations," he said. "I don't think we are doing anything wrong.