University Band Not Source of Spirit Problem

TO THE EDITORS

In the Feb. 5 edition of The Crimson, Chris W. McEvoy reported on the perceived lack of spirit at the Beanpot. To this end, he criticized the Harvard Band for not playing "10,000 Men of Harvard" during an extended break when a pane of plexiglass was being replaced. Mr. McEvoy must not have noticed that a photographer was injured when the Plexiglass broke.

As the Band does not play when a player on the ice is hurt, it would have been equally inappropriate for us to play a fight song with the injured photographer nearby. Mr. McEvoy should note that the Band did play after the photographer left.

Through both successful and less than successful seasons, the Band wholeheartedly supports Harvard athletics with performances at all men's home hockey games, as well as several men's and women's Ivy League basketball contests.

The music we produce and the cheers we lead (contrary to Mr. McEvoy's statement, the Band did cheer, "That's all right, that's okay...we won't hire you!") are sorely tested by the sheer size and poor acoustics of the Fleet Center--a challenge faced at any game where the most ardent fans are seated hundreds of feet away.

Therefore, it strikes us as both unfair and wrong for a Crimson reporter to use the Harvard Band as a segue to yet another diatribe on school spirit. --Martha Bohm '98, manager,   Dalton Courson '98, drum major,   Harvard University Band