Co-Authors Speak on Christianity

By Paul M. Golaszewski

Spencer Perkins and Chris Rice, co-authors of the book "More than Equals: Racial Healing For The Sake of the Gospel," delivered an address last night in Sever Hall stressing the importance of Christian values in achieving racial harmony.

Perkins and Rice are both members of a residential group that works to encourage community development among the poor in Jackson, Mississippi.

The two Christian activists drew examples from their personal lives, the Bible and current events to illustrate the importance of Christianity in overcoming racial barriers.

Rice, who is white, described the differences blacks and whites face in combating racism.

"For me, talking about race is optional," Rice said. "Minorities have to deal with it, whether they want to or not."

He also noted the pressures facing whites and blacks who wish to reconcile their differences.

"The toughest pressure not to be a reconciler comes from your own racial group," he said.

The speech, addressed to a multi-racial audience, focused specifically on tensions between blacks and whites.

"This is our experience," said Perkins, "[And] we like to speak from our own experience."

The two speakers emphasized the importance of two Christian values in breaking down the barriers to racial harmony: "forgiveness" and "unity."

"Forgiveness is the highest ideal," Perkins concluded.

The speech was part of a two-day-long series of workshops.

The program was sponsored by the Quad Bible Society, Veritas Forum, River Bible Study, Harvard-Radcliffe Christian Fellowship, and Graduate School Christian Fellowship.