Tenants Raise Housing Worries

By Richard M. Burnes and Molly Hennessy-fiske

More than 50 Cantabrigians facing the consequences of a shrinking supply of low-income housing brought their concerns to the City Council Monday night.

Most came to support a series of financial measures that would help keep low-income housing available in the city.

"If Cambridge is to be proud of its diversity it has to work hard to maintain it," said Eileen DeRosa of the Cambridge Economic Opportunity Commission (CEOC) at a press conference prior to the council meeting.

A proposal for a new transfer tax and $20 million bond authorization aimed at contracting companies to purchase former rent-controlled apartments drew support from residents and tenant advocacy groups, such as the Campaign to Save 2,000 Homes. Under the plan, firms would then rent the units to tenants at affordable prices.

DeRosa said the $20 million bond issue would be repaid by a 1 to 1.5 percent tax on purchases of new homes in the city.

Although the council heard the concerns of several tenants, councillors were hesitant to rush ahead with the proposal, which was tabled for discussion next week.

"The problem I have with a transfer tax is that there's a contradiction in trying to make housing more affordable by making it more expensive," City Councillor Anthony D. Galluccio said.

Many believe that if the City Council does not purchase housing soon, it will face skyrocketing prices. But even if the council does pass funding measures in the near future, it will be months before the city is able to purchase the units.

"Both the bond and the transfer are not immediate solutions to the housing problem," said Bill Cavellini of the Campaign to Save 2,000 Homes. "[The council] needs to loosen up money dedicated to affordable housing."

Many of those at the council meeting alleged that local landlords are driving up housing prices in the wake of rent control's abolition, passed by state voters in 1994 and made fully effective this year.

"The large landlords in Cambridge are making windfall profits from the end of rent control," said Louise Dunlop. One real-estate company has allegedly begun a 20 percent rent increase across the board, and other realtors are following suit.

"Between 1994 and now, owners stand to double, even triple, their profits on these buildings," said John May of the Campaign to Save 2,000 Homes. May said a report documenting the alleged rent increases will be released soon.

Meanwhile, residents have sponsored a local concert series to raise funds for evicted tenants, and local leaders are coming out in support of affordable housing.

"With the end of rent control in this city we face a very serious crisis," said Rev. Irv Cummings of Cambridge Baptist Church, spokesperson for Cambridge Clergy Affordable Housing. "We are currently in search of ways we can forestall and even end this crisis, and we're not just in it for the short haul," he said