Tips for a Blissful Blocking Experience

Proctors and Prefects Recommend Early Start and Straightforward Approach

By Michelle L. Murphy

Thus far, your first year in college has passed without a glitch.

You've made it through the late night study sessions, the hourly exams and the painfully long sections.

You've learned to loathe Loker but to crave caffeine. You've learned how to do your own laundry and select the best dryers. You've even managed to tolerate your smelly roommate.

Although you may have handled these first-year transitions effortlessly, all things considered, your biggest challenge still lies ahead: selecting a blocking group for next year.

Typically, choosing blockmates is one of the hardest decisions to make at Harvard. It can involve difficult conversations, hurt feelings and even broken friendships.

Although tension may be mounting in your common room, take comfort in the fact that you are not alone. Most first-years on campus have already thought about blocking, and many are beginning to panic.

"One of my students came to me after exams, really stressed-out" about choosing blockmates, says Ana K. Henderson, a proctor in Stoughton. "Later it was brought up at a study break and everyone began asking about it."

Raising the Subject

Despite the fact that blocking is on everyone's mind, it is difficult to discuss the subject.

Raising the issue is especially daunting for the person who first brings it up.

"We haven't really even talked about it yet," says Alison M. O'Neill '00. "I know that we have to hand in the forms soon, because I have a potential blockmate who keeps reminding me. I'm honestly more inclined to let her handle it."

Avoidance is typically not the best way to get around the pains of choosing a blocking group. False assumptions regarding blocking often lead to near-deadline arguments and blocking break-ups.

"Start talking about it early," advises Thayer proctor Mark A. McComiskey '94. "This prevents last minute misunderstandings and bitterness."

Although avoiding the topic altogether may be a dangerous policy, dropping not-so-subtle hints is probably an equally poor choice.

"My friends and I had planned to room together, but we knew this kid who kept hanging around us," recalls a Lowell House junior. "None of us really liked him and we didn't exactly know what to say."

Those who have gone through the process say that the only good tactic is to be straightforward in approaching people.

"There's no easy way of telling someone," Grays proctor Ted D. Miller says. "But honesty is the most important thing."

Building Blocks

Although there is no simple procedure for forming a blocking group, some methods are better than others.

Two years ago a group of first years decided that the best way to decide blocking groups was to follow an elaborate voting procedure using a secret ballot.

The system, which strived to eliminate open confrontation over blocking, instead caused confusion over the outcome. Students involved didn't know why they hadn't made the cut into the group.

Miller stresses that it is necessary to be open and clear about why rooming choices occur.

"Often times you may not want to live with your best friend," he argues. The fact that rooming choices aren't always the same as friendship choices is an important distinction to make.

There is also the distinction between blocking and rooming.

Students who room together will most likely see each other all the time and have to deal with each other's habits. Blockmates, on the other extreme, may live on opposite sides of a house and see each other only at meals.

Thus, allowing many people to be in your blocking group, but not rooming with them, is an easy way to avoid hurting the feelings of those you may not want to room with.

But in the age of randomization, first-years are often worried that a large group will mean getting a house that they are not happy with. Students from the class of '99 disagree with this philosophy.

"We had a block of 16 and we worried about getting Quadded," recalls one sophomore. "Luckily we ended up in a river house, but I also know of some small blocks that were placed in the Quad."

Often times a large blocking group that combines people who didn't know each other before creates new relationships.

Adam R. Kovacevich '99 found his current roommate because they had both intended to float in the same block.

"I wanted to block with friends from my freshman dorm, but I also needed to find a roommate," recalls Kovacevich. Once I found out that Dave was in a similar predicament, I talked with him about it. We're very compatible and are having a great year. We're already decided to room together next year."

Floating

Students who cannot find a blocking group should not feel alone. Several enter the housing lottery by themselves each year, and most end up happy with the outcome.

"I floated into Quincy last year," one sophomore comments. "It's been great in that it has give me flexibility to meet a bunch of new people. It has definitely forced me to take more initiative."

Daniel J. Libenson '92, a Massachusetts Hall proctor, advises students not to worry.

"I've been a proctor for a while now, and things always seem to work out. I've seen people float, and I've seen people successfully accept floaters into their blocking groups," he says.

But those afraid of floating should not hesitate to ask people with whom they are not as close to room with them.

First-years often fail to realize that it is difficult for everyone to make friendships as strong as those made in high school after only six months. Several are surprised to find out how many other students are in the same blocking predicament.

In addition, many regret not asking a particular person to room with them for fear of rejection--when years later they discover that the situation would have been ideal.

Students should "not to be ashamed of asking someone they do not know that well," says prefect Ann A. Waterman '98. "Everybody is tense about housing. A lot are in the same situation. Having someone approach you is a really nice thing."

Don't Stress

Blocking can be stressful, but it almost always works out for the best. Very few sophomores are unhappy with the turnout, and once adjusted to house life, blocking woes seem like an unnecessary problem.

"Honestly, putting together a blocking group was the most stressful event of freshman year," says Kovacevich. "It's all turned out really well, though."CrimsonGrigory Tovbis

Floating

Don't Stress