Lights and Phones Improve Security

We commend the University's recent action to improve safety in Harvard Yard. With the addition of 39 lights in the vicinity of the Yard, late night walks back from Tommy's or the Science Center will be made a little safer. The eight new security phones, the most obvious of which is located just inside Johnston Gate, will allow students to call for emergency help or just summon the shuttle more easily.

Though some students have not noticed the improvements ("What new lights?" asked one first-year), others have already begun to appreciate the better-lit paths and entrances and ready access to safety phones. "When I have to walk alone at night, I feel much better having the bright lights all around," said Lisa R. Silverman '00.

According to Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III and Harvard Yard Manager Muerle Bicknell, the new lights and phones have been installed primarily because of safety concerns, but also because students wanted to be able to contact the shuttle service directly from Johnston Gate. We are pleased with the administration for moving so well on this issue in the Yard; however, the problems of safety are multiple and ongoing. The next step is to look to the River and the Quad and grant key-card access to all the houses for upperclass students so that they can find refuge no matter where they are walking.