B-School Gym, Not K-School, Deserves Scrutiny

TO THE EDITORS

I must agree fully with your low assessment of Harvard's fitness center in your editorial "Improve the MAC; K-School Out" (March 3). But while you did not go on to advocate blocking automatic Kennedy School access, I and fellow classmates were disturbed by the headline you chose to run. Kennedy School students come from public service backgrounds and go on to successful public lives which more often than not earn them far lower salaries than the other graduates of this University.

And yet, you would pick on them while the opulent Business School has a far nicer facility than the MAC and will not let any "outsiders" in. I've visited Shad at HBS--they have a nicer basketball court than does our 2nd place Ivy varsity team! And they have three of them. And they are also empty.

The MAC serves over 10,000 students and has about 18 and one-half barbells. Shad serves less than 2,000 and carries over 40. The Crimson would do well to focus on greater inclusion--pressuring the administration for improvement and expansion of the MAC--not on the exclusion your headlines purport. --Kishan Putta, MPP1