Carnesale Will Be Named UCLA Chancellor

By The CRIMSON Staff

University Provost Albert Carnesale will be nominated for the chancellorship of the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) today and plans to accept, four sources within the University said yesterday.

According to the sources, Carnesale, who held the position of acting president of the University for three months in 1994, made calls yesterday to colleagues telling them of his pending appointment.

The University of California (UC) Board of Regents will hold a teleconferenced meeting today at 3 p.m. EST, where they are expected to confirm the nomination offered by UC President Richard Atkinson.

Carnesale, who spent yesterday working in his office, declined to comment on personnel matters yesterday evening.

Carnesale's confirmation as chancellor will end a search of approximately five months.

A telephone press conference with the nominees for both the UCLA position and the UC Berkeley chancellorship is expected to begin at 2 p.m. PST, according to Linda Steiner-Lee of the UCLA Public Information office.

"Neither candidate will be here," Steiner-Lee said. "They will be in their home campuses."

University spokesperson Alex Huppe confirmed yesterday that Carnesale will be on campus today.

"He's going to be here," Huppe said. "He has a regular schedule."

He also said that at 5 p.m. EST, the time of the press conference, he plans to meet with Carnesale in person.

Huppe also said that the weekly meeting of University vice presidents held from 4 to 6 p.m. appears on Carnesale's calender today.

"There's a meeting every Thursday," Carnesale said when asked whether he would attend the meeting. "Sometimes I attend, sometimes I don't."

James H. Rowe III '73, vice president for government, community and public affairs, said he was not sure if Carnesale would be at tomorrow's meeting.

"The agenda has nothing to do with Al on it," Rowe said.

Huppe referred all questions on the post of UCLA chancellor to the UCLA press office.

Terry Colvin, a spokesperson for Atkinson, would not rule out Carnesale as a candidate, according to the UCLA Daily Bruin.

Carnesale flew to California to interview for the position last week. Other candidates interviewed include University of Pennsylvania Provost Stanley Chodorow, UCLA Medical School Dean Gerald Levey and UCLA Law School Dean Susan Prager.

At that time, Carnesale and Chodorow were reported to be the top two contenders for the post.

During the fall of 1994, Carnesale was simultaneously Dean of the Kennedy School, University Provost and Acting President. During that time, many professors praised Carnesale for his ability to make positive contributions in several roles, lauding his for his administrative abilities.

Sources at UCLA said that problems with labor unions have plagued the campus in recent months. As provost, Carnesale has helped direct University negotiations with Harvard labor unions such as the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers (HUCTW). Though HUCTW recently mounted a three-month long picket of Carnesale's Massachusetts Hall office, relations improved when both groups signed a year-long contract extension that contained concessions by both sides.

--Georgia N. Alexakis, Courtney A. Coursey, David A. Fahrenthold, Matthew W. Granade, Ayanna A. Lonian, William P. Moynahan, Valerie J. MacMillan, Andrew K. Mandel, Amber L. Ramage, Joshua H. Simon, Baratunde R. Thurston, Kelly M. Yamanouchi and Elizabeth S. Zuckerman contributed to the reporting of this story.