Tennis Bageled 4-0

By Richard B. Tenorio

Edged by Stanford in doubles competition, the Harvard men's tennis team (20-7) was eliminated from the NCAA tournament at UCLA's Los Angeles Tennis Center Saturday when it lost to the Cardinal (23-2) in straight sets at No. 4, No. 1 and No. 3.

"They [Stanford] are marching toward a national championship and they were ready to play," Harvard coach Dave Fish said. "If they bring 100 percent of theirs against 100 percent of ours, they win."

The third-seeded Cardinal won the first two doubles matches completed to take an early lead. At No. 1, Stanford's pair of Paul Goldstein and Ryan Walters, ranked 41st in the nation, defeated Harvard's 20th-ranked duo of senior Mitty Arnold and junior Tom Blake, 8-3.

In the second doubles match, Stanford's No. 2 team of Bob and Mike Bryan broke Harvard's serve in the 13th game, then served out the match, en route to an 8-6 victory over sophomores Kunj Majmudar and Elliot Weiss. Having clinched the second doubles match, the Cardinal grabbed a 1-0 lead in team score. The No. 3 match, between Stanford's Geoff Abrams and Grant Elliott and sophomore Mike Passarella and junior Philip Tseng, was stopped at 7-7.

In the subsequent singles competition, Wolters defeated Blake at No. 1, 6-3, 6-4. Mike Bryan defeated Tseng, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 3, and Goldstein defeated Majmudar, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4.

With Stanford's 4-0 sweep, three matches were not completed: No. 2 (Bob Bryan versus Arnold), No. 5 (Abrams versus Passarella) and No. 6 (Elliott versus freshman John Doran).

The men's team, winners of the Region I championship two weeks ago, reached the round of 16 for the second consecutive year.

Women Lose in Individual Competition

Despite tenacious early efforts by members of the Harvard women's team, Stanford's players won out in both the singles and doubles competition yesterday in Palo Alto.

In the first round of the singles championship, sophomore Ivy Wang lost, 6-4, 6-2. Wang trailed, 4-1, in the first set before rallying to tie it. However, Wang dropped the next two games. She finished the season with a 19-17 overall record.

The doubles team of junior Gabriela Hricko and senior Gina Majmudar fell to the second-seeded Cardinal, 6-2, 6-0. Harvard took an early 2-0 lead before dropping the next 12 contests.