Face/Off not a surrealist film

TO THE EDITORS

The assertion in the July 2 review of Face/Off that there was an atomosphere of surrealism throughout, contributes to the flagrant misuse of the word "surrealism" to mean anything bizasrre, strange or unusal, and enforcers of consensus reality, determined to pull the noose they have slipped around the throat of the imagination ever tighter, make ever stricter what can be defined as "normal." This debasement is symptomatic of the scheme to murder interest in authentic surrealism through the promotion of its counterfeits.

I have participated in the Surrealist Movement in the United States for the last five years, and Face/Off, though there are certain things to be said for it, is not a surrealist film. surrealism is a living, revolutionary, poetic movement uncompromisingly dedicated to the defense of freedom and the marvelous. I demand that in future The Crimson refrain from such egregious falsification. --Daniel C. Boyer   Harvard Summer School Student

Recommended Articles

Democratizing Oscar
Ahh, Oscar. In 70 years of deciding the merits and failings of film, the Academy Awards have been glorified and
Surrealist
Tradition-bound Boston broke precedent last Thursday night when the first exhibition of Surrealist art in the city's history opened at
Collections and Critiques
When the man in the street, that much maligned but elusive homunculus, thinks of modern painting--if he thinks of it
No Answers
I N HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY My Last Sigh, Luis Bunuel, the father of the surrealist cinema, remarks that the one unifying
Jet of Blood Review Critiqued
To the Editor: Your unlucky reviewer, Ms. Ashwini Sukthankar, could have done herself a service by reading a dictionary definition
LACK OF UNITY MARKS GERMAN LITERATURE
"In the recent German literary movement we find a great many tendencies and a remarkable lack of unity." This was