Number of Core Offerings Stays Low

Harvard News In Brief

The recent Core reform legislation passed by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) will not affect next year's course offerings, said Susan W. Lewis, director of the Core Program.

According to the Draft Version of the 1997-98 Courses of Instructionposted on the Internet, only two more classes than last year will be offered in the Core during the next acadmic year.

Lewis said course offerings were due to the Registrar's Office by April, and the Core reform vote did not occur until May.

The number of Core courses available each year is "highly dependent on faculty leave patterns," Lewis said. The fact that there are two more courses in the Core this year is based purely on "happenstance."

In a fax yesterday, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Chair of the Core Standing Committee Jeremy R. Knowles said his goal is "certainly to increase the number of Core offerings on a continuing basis, over the coming few yars."

Knowles said he plans to consider Core subcommittee membership this summer and will meet with the Standing Committee in the early fall.

Recommended Articles

Core Still Restricts Student Choice
A s classes begin this week, we are elated by the cornucopia of new courses in some departments and depressed
Quantitative Reasoning Core Debuts for Class of 2003
Next year's course offerings will include a slightly greater number of core classes, as well as the debut of the
Still Rotten at the Core
Core Program offerings lack in quantity, quality--and should allow departmental courses Once again, undergraduates are faced with the frustrating task
Course Offerings Include `Justice'
Other than the mysterious substance used to smear the formula of ozone on the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Courses
Course Offerings Include `Justice'
In-Core-porate Department Courses
S HOPPING period is over, and you're settled into your classes. There are probably three courses you really want to