Chasteney, Class of '31, Dies at Age 90

Graduate Was Former Crimson Ed. Chair, Managing Editor of House and Home

Robert W. Chasteney Jr. '31, a retired managing editor of the Time Inc. publication House and Home, died June 7 after a brief illness. He was 90.

"He was a very scholarly gentleman," said friend and fellow alumnus Frank H. Baumgardner Jr., who graduated from Harvard Business School in 1932. Baumgardner and Chasteney were neighbors in Tucson, Ariz.

Noting Chasteney's role as a benefactor of the library at the University of Arizona at Tucson (UA), Baumgardner said "his interest in books goes with his lifetime career in the Time organization."

Chasteney, who while an undergraduate was the editorial chair of The Crimson, began his professional journalism and publishing career at the Keyport Weekly, a small newspaper in Monmouth County, N.J.--Chasteney's home state.

By the fall of 1932, Chasteney was employed by Time, Inc. Chasteney worked for Time, Architectural Forum, and Magazine of Building before helping to launch House and Home.

In 1937, Chasteney married Ruth Goodhue Chasteney, the first woman to become managing editor of a Time publication.

Chasteney's life experiences were rich and varied. Chasteney served in World War II as a lieutenant colonel before setting up a home in Massachusetts.

After moving to Tucson in the early 1970s, Chasteney became involved in activities at the Skyline Country Club. According to Baumgardner, Chasteney was especially fond of a group at the club which met to discuss issues raised in publications like The Economist.

Chasteney was also a member of the Harvard Club, the University Club and the University of Arizona Foundation President's Club.

After his wife's death in 1993, Chasteney established the Ruth Goodhue Chasteney Memorial Endowment at the UA Library in her memory.

He also donated more than 700 books from the couple's private collection including rare books by famous authors, including Joseph Conrad and D.H. Lawrence.

Chasteney's family has said more books will be donated to the library, and welcomes those who wish to honor Chasteney to contribute to his wife's endowment at UA.

Chasteney is survived by his sister, Eleanor C. Broidrick of Cape Cod, and several nieces and nephews.