A First Step (Master)

* Benevolent Donor Provides Much-Needed Equipment for the MAC

Harvard students can look forward to a year of increased cardiovascular fitness due to an anonymous donation that has provided much needed new equipment at the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC). While in the past, the long waits for the stairmasters drove up students' blood pressures and stress levels, the 14 new stairmasters should alleviate as much stress as the actual exercise.

We students thank the donor for bettering the athletic resources available to Harvard students. But we are somewhat disappointed that the MAC had to rely on an anonymous donation for necessary changes. Even associate director of athletics John E. Wentzell agrees that "this has been needed." This is a gross understatement; Harvard's athletic facilities are a scar on the College. Embarrassingly, the impetus for change came from outside the University.

Nonetheless, we feel that the donation has pushed the MAC in the right direction. The installation of new equipment has reminded us of other possible improvements, including opening the MAC earlier and installing air conditioning in the building. In October, MAC users will be able to make suggestions for further improvements. We applaud this gesture and hope that it bespeaks the true desire to equip the MAC so it can handle the number of users.