King Service Fills Memorial Church

By Caille M. Millner, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

While many studied for exams on Monday, community members and undergraduates gathered in remembrance of civil rights activist Martin Luther King, Jr.

The holiday was celebrated at the College with a quiet service at Memorial Church that some attendants said may have been a bit too quiet.

"It seemed as if the day went by without much public notice," said Damian M. Smith '01, a Kuumba singer. "I'm not sure if everyone at the University would even know today was a holiday if the mail service wasn't closed."

While Professor of Afro-American Studies Cornel R. West '74 gave a speech honoring King at the University of Michigan, the holiday was observed at Harvard by the several hundred people who filled Memorial Church.

The service included prayers from all different faiths and a performance by the Kuumba gospel singers.

"I think it would please Dr. King greatly that we can sit here today as brothers and sisters," said Derek C. Araujo '99, chair of the Harvard-Radcliffe Interfaith Forum.

Kathleen N. Cleaver, an assistant professor of law at Emory University and a renowned civil rights activist, spoke on her three experiences with Martin Luther King Jr. that changed her life--and the life of all blacks in America.

"He personally assisted a movement that destroyed fear," Cleaver said. "We are living in somber times.... Too much of what he talked about remains unchanged."

In light of such events as the L.A. riots, the Oklahoma City bombing and the resurgence of skinhead groups, Cleaver said, "King's assassination marks this country's colossal failure to heed his message."

The service also brought up questions of what Harvard does to heed King's message.

"I think the most appropriate way to celebrate the legacy of Dr. King is by serving the community," said Dionne A. Fraser '99, vice-president of the Black Students Association.

"I think Harvard students do quite a bit of service to the Cambridge community," Fraser said. "What I do think can be improved is the behavior we exhibit after graduation."

Some students were troubled by the lack of attention given to King's birthday on campus.

"A non-compulsory church service doesn't begin to fully encompass all of the feelings and emotions that this day brings for some people," Smith said.

Cleaver added that people tend to forget the importance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

"The fight is not over. It's not won and it's not lost," Cleaver said. "We have to remember that."