DeNunzio, Volpe Pace Wrestlers at Midland Championships

Harvard places 15th of 50 schools at annual Illinois Tournament

By Rebecca A. Blaeser and Karun F. Grossman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERSs

They may not have gotten the best present for Christmas, but after placing 15th at the annual Midlands Championship in Evanston, Illinois, the Harvard wrestlers at least gained some valuable experience over the holiday break.

Harvard flew four wrestlers out to the Midwest from Dec. 28-29 to compete in a tournament which draws some the nation's best grapplers.

The Crimson finished the two-day event with a team total of 34.5 points, placing 15th out of 50 teams-worth of stiff competition.

"This was the first time in probably fifteen years that Harvard placed at Midlands," said sophomore Joe Killar. "This was some of the best competition that we will see until the NCAAs."

It was no surprise that Harvard was led by junior tri-captain Dustin DeNunzio and sophomore Francis Volpe, who have been the Crimson's strength throughout the early part of the season.

DeNunzio, who is coming off a second-place finish at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational, battled for a third-place finish at Midlands in the 134-pound weight class. A heartbreaking, 3-1, overtime loss in the fourth round to the tournament's No. 1 seed, Mark Ironside of lowa, dropped DeNunzio to the consolation bracket.

DeNunzio went on to win his final two matches, but it took another overtime victory against Lassen's Sonny Marchette to do so. Finishing the tournament with a solid 6-1 record will most likely not affect DeNunzio's No. 5 national ranking.

"I'm disappointed by the loss [to Ironside], but it is promising for the end of the year," DeNunzio said. "I will probably be wrestling him at nationals and I am confident that I will be able to beat him then."

Volpe, wrestling in the 177 pound weight class, had similar success early on in the tournament, but was ousted in the fourth round against the No. 1-seeded Mitch Clark of Ohio State. Volpe was a fourth place finisher at last year's EIWAs and was a member of the NCAA All-Rookie team.

Aside from DeNunzio and Volpe, the other Harvard wrestlers struggled throughout the tournament. Killar and junior Ed Mosley--who were both the Ivy League Rookies of the Year their freshman seasons--went into Midlands with high seeds, but could not wrestle up to their bookings and were eliminated in the early rounds.

Super 8 "Duels"

The Crimson struggled at the Super 8 "Duels" hosted by Central Michigan finishing in a dismal tie for fifth out of a total six teams.

"The team was tired and just needed a break," Killar said. "It was hard to make weight after the holidays and then four days later make weight again. It really tired us out."

However DeNunzio once again finished well, winning four straight matches against Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Tennessee- Chattanooga and Central Michigan wrestlers, earning himself a spot on the All-Tournament team.

"Right now we are preparing for the end of the season, so we peak there," Killar said. "It is good to win now, but not that important. These meets are useful to see where we stand and what we need to work on."

Harvard hosts Army Saturday in its first home meet.