WINFREY & COMPANY

INTERVIEW

By Bill Gienapp, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

THANDIE NEWTON AND OPRAH WINFREY from Beloved

Opens Friday, October 16

The Crimson was invited to meet Thandie Newton and Oprah Winfrey to discuss their new movie, Beloved. As Ms. Newton sipped a cup of tea, we were able to ask her about her performance as Beloved.

Q: Who do you think the character of Beloved is?

Thandie Newton: She's an elusive figure, very mercurial, who changes drastically from scene to scene. I think it's essential to recognize that Beloved has never been enslaved, or known slavery, yet she has always been imprisoned. At the beginning of the film, she is trapped within the walls of Sethe's house, then she finds herself in a teenage body she is unable to function with. For 16 years she has been denied the growing process and everything is new to her, everything is an experience. I believe Beloved symbolizes betrayal. Sethe betrayed her when she was just a baby and, on a higher level, she represents all the betrayals of slavery. Toni Morrison told me that Beloved is "the you in you; the part of yourself that you can never betray."

Q: Were you ever intimidated by acting with an established star like Danny Glover or a larger-than-life figure such as Oprah Winfrey?

TN: Not at all. The atmosphere was very laid-back and there was absolutely no level of ego. Danny Glover is a really sweet man who makes you feel totally at ease, and Oprah is so reassuring and has such a firm commitment to goodness. This is a person who succeeded completely through hard work, and never stepped on anyone or stooped to cutthroat tactics on her way to the top. Working with her, I realized the sheer range and strength of this woman. She's one of the most inspiring people I've ever met.

Q: How did you go about preparing for the role?

TN: Well, initially I was terrified because I had read the book twice and I still had no clear idea of who Beloved was. I talked to Toni Morrison about it and she told me to do whatever I wanted with the character. I realized then that it was okay to develop my own interpretation as long as I was doing justice to the book. In terms of preparation, I mostly researched case studies of abused children. I knew Beloved had to be a painful figure, never cute, and at times she would be grotesque because that is the only way she knows how to express herself.

Q: What was your most memorable experience on the set?

TN: It was a unique experience because we didn't rehearse any of the scenes, and the movie was shot completely in order from beginning to end. It really forces the actors to put every fiber of their being into each line. Anyway, the scene I remember was the one where Kimberly [Elise] and I are playing and dancing in the attic together and things turn very emotional. All I knew going into the scene was my lines, but when the cameras started rolling, the way in which we were able to shape the scene and the way our lines just occurred naturally was extraordinary. It was the most transcendent experience I've ever had in acting.

After we said goodbye to Thandie Newton, we had to cool our heels for about forty minutes. Oprah Winfrey spoke to us next.

Q: Did the movie meet your expectations?

Oprah Winfrey: Absolutely. I have utterly no regrets about the film, unlike when I graduated from college where I was full of regrets. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to you. But the big surprise for me was how Beloved became more than a movie to me. It was truly a life-transforming experience.

Q: Obviously this project was extremely important to you and perhaps the most vital thing was choosing the right director. Were you immediately sold on Jonathan Demme?

OW: Definitely. Over the years, I met with a number of directors and I always left the interviews with a lukewarm, half-hearted feeling. I was beginning to think that I needed to hire a foreign director because they seemed like the ones most capable of capturing the subtleties and intricacies of the book. But when I met with Jonathan, my reaction was a resounding "YES!" He was so enthusiastic, one of the most exuberant people I've ever met, and I realized that the director simply needed to share my vision and my passion for the book.

Q: What is your insight into the character of Sethe?

OW: She is a woman who's seen and experienced everything. She has endured so much hardship that very little, if anything, will rattle her. When she firsts meets Beloved, she isn't fazed at all by her odd demeanor or her creepy voice. If it were me personally, I would have said, "Get the hell out of my house!" But the real pain ofbeing a slave woman was leaving for the fieldseach day, and working hard, and not knowing ifyour children were going to be there when you gotback. That was the real hardship. True freedom isthe ability to wake up each morning and decidewhat you want to do with the day.

Q: Did you ever consider playing theyoung Sethe?

OW: [laughing] Yeah, right. Actually,the producers approached me on the set and askedme if I wanted to play young Sethe and I asked howold she was supposed to be. When they told me 16 Isaid "There isn't enough gauze in all ofHollywood. You'd have to put the camera inCleveland to pull that off!"

Q: What do you think, at its heart,Beloved is really about?

OW: I don't think it's really aboutslavery or even about color. The legacy of slaveryis an intrinsic part of the story butBeloved is not the grand saga ofreconstruction that many people may be expecting.It's about reconstruction on the personallevel--learning to trust and to love again andopening your heart to others. Fundamentally, it isa story about the relationship between mother anddaughter. And I believe Denver is the lifeforce ofthe film. She is the future, where-as Beloved isthe past.

Q: How many times have you readBeloved?

OW: I'd say about twelve times.

Q: What was it like to finally watch thefinished film, which was a 10-year labor of lovefor you?

OW: It was emotionally overwhelming.When I watched it for the first time, I seriouslyfelt like I needed a lobotomy, because I wassobbing through the entire thing. I can control myemotions better now but there are still certainparts that make me lose control. That scene whereDenver has to go into town by herself becauseSethe is sick and she peeks her head out of thegate? That one always gets me.

Q: What do you want viewers to take awayfrom the movie?

OW: I want them to be knocked out theway I was when I first read the book. I want themto leave the theater not knowing what to think orhow to feel. When I recommend books or makemovies, I choose stories that I've responded to,stories that opened my heart. I truly believe thatart is that which takes your breath away and givesyou more breath. Beloved made me see myselfin a completely different way. I hope others willhave that same feeling.SEEING THE LIGHT: Beloved inBoston.

Q: How many times have you readBeloved?

OW: I'd say about twelve times.