Student Hit by Car On Mem. Drive

By Marc J. Ambinder, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

A Harvard student was seriously injured late last night after being hit by a car on Memorial Drive near Winthrop House.

Patrick T. Noble '00, a resident of Lowell House, suffered injuries to his chest, according to witnesses and a firefighter on the scene.

Witnesses said they saw Noble step into the street in front of the car just after 11 p.m. They said the car tried to stop but hit Noble, who was a few feet from the curb.

"I heard a loud screech and then a bang," said a female Winthrop House student who said she heard the accident while in the Winthrop courtyard. "At first, I thought someone had hit a tree, it sounded so loud."

The witness said the driver of the car quickly got out and walked to the victim.

"He asked the guy if he was okay, and asked the guy if he was breathing. [The driver] started screaming for help," she said.

Another witness, a male Winthrop house studentwho rushed to the scene after hearing thecommotion, said Noble was breathing but appearedbloody.

Within two minutes, Harvard Police officersarrived on the scene and began to administer firstaid to the victim.

Soon after, an engine and rescue truck from theCambridge Fire Department arrived and firefighterscontinued to treat the victim.

"There might have been a little damage to hischest," said a Cambridge firefighter who did notgive his name. The firefighter said rescuers had"bagged" Noble, meaning they were helping himbreathe. He said Noble was able to move his armsand legs.

Officers comforted the driver of the car, whowitnesses said was visibly shaken.

The Cambridge rescue truck took Noble toMassachusetts General Hospital escorted by Harvardpolice officers.

Contacted early this morning, spokesperson forthe hospital confirmed that Noble had been takento the emergency room, but would not releaseinformation about his condition.

After the victim was transported to thehospital, Massachusetts State Police trooperscombed Memorial Drive, measuring how far the carhad skidded while trying to stop.

The car, a late-1980s sedan, showed damage tothe lower right side of its front windshield andto its front bumper.

Harvard police declined comment and officialsfrom the Massachusetts State Police were notavailable for comment.

Harvard police officials notified Lowell Housesenior tutor Gene C. McAfee, who also declinedcomment early this morning.

--Jenny E. Heller contributed to thereporting of this story