Brevitas

ANTZ

From the Manhattan skyline to Woody driveling anxiety to his shrink, the first moments of Antz suggest a film destined to become another prototypical Woody Allen movie. Until Woody (now an ant named "Z") gets off the psychoanalyst's couch and walks into "The Colony." The makers of Antz seem particularly interested in demonstrating their ability to depict water and human movement, disregrading the fact that the plot must make some rather forced detours in order to accommodate these animated showpieces. Though the character of Allen as well as those of the other actors (voiced by Dan Akroyd, Anne Bancroft, Sylvester Stalone and Jennifer Lopez, among others) take some of the edge of the hackneyed plot, "Antz" fails to fully engage. Carla A. Blackmar

BELOVED

In Beloved, the highly-anticipated adaptation of Toni Morrison's novel, slavery is explored in a subtle, almost metaphorical fashion. It is an exercise in psychology, exploring the mind of Morrison's steel-willed protagonist Sethe (Oprah Winfrey), a former slave who now lives as a free woman in Ohio in the 1870s. Beloved is a handsome, classy production that is distinguished in every possible way, but it is also a cold film. The screenplay grapples admirably with Morrison's convoluted narrative but can never get to the heart of it. The saving grace of the movie is the renowned cast.   Bill Gienapp

LOLITA

For all the hype that surrounded its 10-month saga to find an American distributor, Lolita is, in the end, surprisingly tame. Overwhelming us with a cascade of lovely images, Lolita succeeds in being tragically moving despite the unsavory plot.

Indeed, the reason why Lyne's film works is that it focuses upon the potential of film to beautify even the grotesque. The effect is a little artificial, a spectacle designed to seduce the viewer into turning away from the moral problem of the film. In a time when films often try to say something about life, here is a film about the power of film.   Irene Hahn

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

Life is Beautiful is a truly rare and unexpected creation: a comedy about the Holocaust. One of several miracles that writer, director, and actor Roberto Benigni performs in this film is to convince the audience that this is not a contradiction in terms. Benigni believes in his film's title, and it is this optimism which makes the movie's unlikely concept work. This celebration of the imagination in the face of so much reality--not just in the movie's plot but in its whole visual and emotional style--is a brave choice that will make this film a classic. See this movie for a reminder of the wonderful heights that film can achieve, and for the at-long-last American arrival of a major international talent.   Erwin R. Rosenberg

The Siege The Siege features Denzel Washington, Bruce Willis and Annette Bening. Billed as a "reality" movie, The Siege presents the all-too-plausible scenario of a group of terrorists wreaking havoc in New York City while our government leaders fumble and search for ways to cope. Following the bombing of American embassies in Africa by Muslim extremists and other escalating terrorist advances against the U.S., the film depicts events very similar to those that are happening around us, much as Primary Colors did about the Clinton sex scandal. An action film taught with suspense, The Siege has also raised the ire of Arab-American groups fuming at yet another portrayal of Arabs as crazed religious zealots and bombers. The Siege has many shortfalls, including two-dimensional characters. The Siege has its thrills and suspenses, and its big name cast shouldn't fail to lure the crowds, but don't expect much more than a typical action flick with the twist of modern day relevance.   Keith D. DesRochers

BELOVED

LOLITA

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

LOLITA

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL