Crimson Alum Named New Newsweek Editor

By Jordana R. Lewis, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Mark T. Whitaker '79 became the first black editor of a major U.S. weekly Tuesday when he was named editor of Newsweek magazine.

Whitaker, a former associate editor of The Crimson, has been the magazine's managing editor since 1996. He assumes the position of editor following the death of long-time editor Maynard Parker. Parker died last month from pneumonia complications, following a battle with leukemia.

Whitaker said becoming editor of the magazine, which has a circulation of 3.2 million copies a week, is a "bittersweet experience."

"I was holding down the fort during the time that Maynard was ill," he said. "I have immense respect for him but am also extremely excited for this new challenge."

Whitaker said he has plans for the magazine's future, including more focus on science and technology, and more appeal to younger readers.

"Newsweek is a great magazine already and whatever I accomplish as editor will only be building on strength," he said. "But I want to make sure that we keep our aggressive edge on big news stories."

"In addition to those, I want to develop our personal interest pieces, and our science and technology features," he said.

"[Although] we have a good handle on the baby-boom generation...if we develop pieces on a different culture through movies, music, books and politics, we can attract a younger audience as well."

Fellow Crimson editor Johnathan H. Alter '79, now a Senior Editor and Columnist for Newsweek, said it was no surprise that Whitaker replaced Parker.

"When the question of succession arose, Mark Whitaker was next in line for the job," he said. "As the managing editor, he was the most qualified for the job."

In a press release, Chairman and Editor-in-Chief of Newsweek Richard M. Smith complimented Whitaker on his devotion to the magazine.

"Since joining the magazine as an intern in 1977, Mark has been a star performer as a reporter, writer, senior editor and managing editor," he said. "Mark clearly has the experience, drive, character and good judgement to lead Newsweek into a very successful future."

Vanessa Williams, the President of the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), said she "hopes Whitaker does well with his new position."

She also said Whitaker, who is a member of NABJ, should have the same opportunities as any other editor.

"I know that Mark wants to be the best editor that Newsweek has ever had," she said. "Not just the best black editor."

"I just hope that no one holds him to different standards, whether they be higher or lower," Williams said. "But he is going to need a chance to find his way."

Alter said Whitaker's work ethic will help him with his new position.

"Mark works very hard," he said. "He is a combination of tremendous intelligence with a tremendous sense of discipline."

Alter said he remembers Whitaker as a student who was as devoted to The Crimson as to his academics.

"I remember that while we were at Harvard, Mark took the class Space, Time, and Motion in the Natural Sciences Department during his freshman year," he said. "He did so well in the class that during his sophomore year, Mark was a section leader for the class."

"I thought that the class was too hard for me to take, and Mark was teaching it," Alter said.

But Whitaker said his real love at Harvard was The Crimson.

"I always thought that I would become a lawyer or an academic like my parents," he said. "But when I fell in love with journalism at The Crimson, I realized that I could do what was really fun for me as a profession."

Whitaker began working for Newsweek as an intern in 1977. When he won a Marshal Scholarship to Oxford for two years of graduate school, Whitaker reported for Newsweek in London and Paris. In 1981 he became a full-time reporter in New York City, working in the magazine's international section. He became a business editor in 1987.

Whitaker was assistant managing editor from 1991 to 1996 and became managing editor three years ago.