W. Soccer Faces Round Two

Team faces Hartford in NCAAs tomorrow

By Richard A. Perez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Harvard women's soccer team hits the road this weekend as it tries to keep its 1998 season, as well as its championship hopes alive.

The 22nd ranked Crimson (11-4-1, 6-1 Ivy) travel to Connecticut tomorrow to take on 12th ranked Hartford (16-4) in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

This is a rematch of two perennial powers. In September, Hartford squeaked out a 1-0 victory over Harvard in Connecticut. The Crimson--who out-shot the Hawks 15-12 in that game--left the field that day feeling that it should have won, and is now anxious at a chance for revenge against the Hawks.

"We are definitely anxious to get another shot at them," co-captain Emily Stauffer said. "The last time we played it was a very even game, with no team dominating. We both had our chances, but they got the game-winner late in the second half."

The Crimson is certainly no stranger to tournament play. This is Harvard's third consecutive NCAA appearance and its fourth in the past five years. Last season, the Crimson made it to the quarterfinals where it lost to a sensational North Carolina team, in a tight 1-0 contest.

Hartford, however, also has tournament experience, and will not be in awe of the moment.

Additionally, both teams have had tough schedules this season preparing them well for postseason play. All of Harvard's four losses have come to top 25 teams, while Hartford has fallen victim to three top 10 squads.

The Crimson enters the game on the heels of a 4-1 thrashing of Central Connecticut St. on Wednesday in the first round of the tournament. It will now look to ride the momentum into tomorrow's game.

Hartford, meanwhile, received a first round bye--a product of the NCAA tournament expansion from 32 teams to 48--and may feel a bit of rust against the match tough Crimson.

The Hawks, however, enter the game simply on fire. Hartford has won its last nine contests by a mind-boggling 43-2, and look to add Harvard to that total.

The Crimson should be ready for the Hartford attack. Throughout the season the Crimson has played defense in its usual stifling manner, not giving up more than two goals in any one contest.

The Harvard offense, however, has been somewhat of a concern, as the Crimson had scored more than twice in only two games leading into the tournament. As in the Hartford game earlier this season, Harvard has been able to create many scoring chances. Finishing off the scores has been the problem.

But the offensive explosion in the first round against a solid Central Connecticut team has the Crimson feeling confident as heads into the contest against the Hawks.

"We definitely hope that our offense is clicking," Stauffer said. "You never know when goals will come, but we've proven that we can create many opportunities this year are doing that now, so we feel good."

Tomorrow, Harvard will look to its surplus of experienced and talented players to continue the offensive attack. Leading the way are midfielder Stauffer and senior forward Naomi Miller--both four-time First Team All-Ivy selections.

Stauffer--two-time Ivy League Player of the Year and a 1996 All America selection--had yet another spectacular season. The all-time Harvard leader in assists led the Crimson again this season in that category with 11. She has also netted five goals on the year, which is good for second on the team.

Miller--herself 1997 Ivy League Player of the Year--has also continued her brilliant play this season. She led the team in goals with seven, and has added six assists.

Harvard will also send talented juniors Beth Zotter and Ashley Berman on the attack. Against Central Connecticut St., the duo combined for a goal apiece, as well as three assists. Their contribution will be much needed against the tough Hawks defense, and its great junior goalkeeper Ingrid Sternhoff.

Defensively, the Crimson is rock-solid as usual. Leading the charge are the team's two First Team All-Ivy selections, senior Jaime Chu and junior Jessica Larson. Larson was a presence in the backfield for the Crimson all season, while Chu is Harvard's best man-to-man defender.

Co-captain Devon Bingham and junior goaltender Anne Browning--both Second Team All-Ivy--will also be called upon to stop the Hartford attack. Bingham has had another solid season, while Browning has been outstanding in goal, allowing less than one score per contest.

The Crimson will have to continue to defend well against the solid Hartford offense. The Hawks boast a slew of scoring threats, including freshman Signe Anderson, who notched the game winner against Harvard earlier this season. Harvard must contain the efficient and explosive Hawks attack to advance.

"The tactic that they are best at is a great, crisp passing game," Browning said. "They have a very smart team, that will capitalize on mistakes. We especially have to do a good job at limiting their outside shots, because that's how they beat us last time."

The task at hand for Harvard tomorrow is not easy. Hartford boasts a great team from top to bottom, and the Crimson knows that the contest will be hard fought. But the team remains confident that it can move on to the third round of the tournament.

"They have a great team, but we know from earlier this year that we can play with them," Browning said. "We definitely feel good going into this match."