ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

Jordan Rules

Long after Harvard men's soccer fans stop remembering the sweet sound of senior Jordan Dupuis' surname, they will be forced to remember his legacy.

At the 55:45 mark of last Saturday's season ending 1-0 victory over Hartwick, Dupuis made sure of it. It was then that by corralling a diving header off the temple of Hartwick sophomore Doug Leonard, Dupuis recorded the 232nd save of his Harvard career, a new school record.

Dupuis, who with six saves on the day finished the game and his career with 233, broke the previous mark of 231 saves, held by Bill Meyers '70.

"I wasn't paying attention to my save number, but that is not important," said Dupuis after the game, his fifth shutout of the season. "We just wanted to finish strongly, and that's what we did. It was great to be part of such a great team."

That one number can never fully describe a career is as true of Dupuis as of anyone. He staked his place in Harvard lore two years ago, leading the nation in regular-season goals-against average (0.56) during Harvard's brilliant 1996 campaign, in which it won 16 consecutive games and reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

The team finished the season ranked ninth in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll, and Dupuis earned First-Team All Ivy honors for his efforts.

The following season his team fell from grace and finished below .500, but Dupuis remained one of the Ivy's elite goalies, earning a spot on the All-Ivy second team.

The start of the 1998 season looked disturbingly like the entirety of the previous one, until a 2-1 overtime victory over then-No. 17 Boston University on Sept. 29 propelled the Crimson on an 8-2-1 run to close the season.

The team rode that momentum into the finale against Hartwick, and Dupuis rode it straight into the Harvard record books.