Respected UC Irvine Biologist George Lauder Accepts Harvard Tenure

New Faculty member praised for student mentoring

By Tara L. Colon, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

George V. Lauder '76, a professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of California at Irvine, has accepted a full professorship in Organismic and Evolutionary Biology (OEB).

Lauder formally accepted Harvard's tenure offer in a letter to Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles in October.

"George Lauder will add significantly to research and teaching in the department in the area of organismic biology," said Dan Hartl, chair of OEB.

Lauder's colleagues at the University of California praised his work.

"He has a superb knowledge of anatomy and a passion to understand how anatomical structures are used in animals," said Albert F. Bennett, chair of the biology department at Irvine. "He pioneered the awareness of the importance of a rigorous statistical design in experimental investigations of structure and function."

Bennett said the department would be sorry to lose Lauder.

"He is an excellent colleague, teacher and graduate student mentor," Bennett said. "His positive attitude is infectious, and his scientific standards are rigorous. Plus he's a hell of nice guy and a good friend."

Lauder's colleagues at Harvard and at the University of California said his research would enhance the OEB department.

"Lauder is one of the leading biologists who carry out experimental studies of animal function in an evolutionary context," said Andrew Biewener, professor of biology and director of the Concord Field Station.

Bennett echoed this praise.

"[He will bring] international distinction in functional morphology and a new presence in evolutionary physiology," Bennett said.

According in Hartl, Lauder was first identified as a potential candidate for a professorship two years ago. Hartl said the recruiting process begun around the same time as the recruitment of Biewener.

"We are extremely proud and extremely fortunate to have attached them both to our already distinguished faculty," Hartl said.

Biewener was the last candidates to accept tenure in the OEB department.

Lauder will arrive at Harvard next fall. It is not yet determined what classes he will teach. He will continue his research on the functional morphology of lower vertebrates at Harvard.