MIT Nuclear Reactor Creates Stir

Cambridge voters pass referendum urging research reactor's removal

By Jonelle M. Lonergan, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Worried about risk to the community, Cambridge residents are calling for the removal of a nuclear reactor owned and operated by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

On Election Day, voters passed a non-binding referendum asking state legislators to move the reactor, which is located on Albany Street, to a safer area.

David A. Hoicka, a Cambridge attorney who proposed the referendum, said he fears the possibility of an accident.

"I think they somehow feel that they don't make mistakes," Hoicka said. "Is MIT going to seriously tell people that their computers [running the reactor] have no bugs? It defies belief."

However, officials from MIT hastened to allay residents' fears regarding the reactor, which is not a power generator but rather a research reactor used to treat cancer and rheumatoid arthritis and to conduct geologic studies.

In fact, MIT officials added they were happy the reactor was getting publicity even though they had not heard directly from any community groups.

"I can tell you that if this question happens to generate interest in the reactor, then we're delighted... [I]t's really in the public's best interest and in MIT's best interest to understand what goes on there," said Sarah E. Gallop, co-director for government and community relations for MIT.

"We give tours there all the time to school-children and anybody that is interested in it," she added.

According to the MIT Nuclear Reactor Laboratory's web page, the reactor produces neutrons that are used only in research programs, including one aimed at developing a treatment for cancer.

The "Move the Nuke" initiative was a cornerstone of Hoicka's platform in his unsuccessful bid for a seat in the State House of Representatives this fall.

"I think MIT is going to have to be responsible in dealing with the neighborhood in this issue," Hoicka said.

Hoicka said he is mostly concerned by the fact that the reactor is located in such a densely populated, residential area.

"I think the real issue here is a public safety issue," Hoicka said. "A nuclear reactor is inappropriate in a residential neighborhood."

Officials from MIT were unavailable for comment yesterday, but an article in the MIT Tech reported that officials' "worst-case" accident scenarios include only the reactor and the adjacent parking lot.

According to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Massachusetts became an "agreement state" two years ago. As a result, only the commission can approve the removal of a reactor, and the state has limited authority over any nuclear facilities.

The MIT reactor began operating in 1958. It was shut down for repairs in 1974, but the overhaul was completed two years later. The reactor has been running 24 hours a day ever since, according to the website.

Hoicka said he feels that MIT is not being completely honest with the community on the issue.

"I have some significant doubts that MIT is telling the whole story about what is going on with this reactor," he said.

Hoicka added that MIT's explanation that the reactor is used only for what he called "a handful of medical experiments" doesn't add up.

"It's got to cost a fair amount of money to run this nuclear reactor," he said. "Who's paying for all of this? It doesn't make sense from just a budgetary standpoint."

MIT is one of about 30 universities in the United States with nonpower reactors usedfor research purposes. Others include WorcesterPolytechnic Institute and the University ofMassachusetts at Lowell.

Sarah E. Scrogin '96 contributed to thereporting of this article.