Men's Soccer Shocks No. 22 Dartmouth, 2-1

By Andrew S. Brunswick, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The No. 22-ranked Dartmouth men's soccer team shoed up at Harvard with a huge entourage, a fight-to-the-death mentality and, perhaps most noticeably, a huge sign that read simply, "Who's Your Daddy?" Well, on Saturday afternoon at Ohiri Field, the Big Green found out. DARTMOUTH  1 HARVARD  2

Harvard (6-6, 3-3 Ivy), not intimidated by Dartmouth's impressive physical size and national ranking in the coaches' poll, showed that it is coming of age by keeping its composure and outlasting the Big Green to win 2-1 in perhaps its hardest fought battle of the season. Junior forward Will Hench's third goal of the season in the 53rd minute proved the game-winner, as Harvard knocked the Big Green out of contention for the Ivy League title.

"We're a young team, but we believe in ourselves," Harvard Coach Steve Locker said. "There's so much parity in Division I men's soccer that a ranked team means little. They've been faltering lately, and our kids can play."

Dartmouth (9-4-1, 3-2), despite its ranking, came into Saturday's game on a two-game losing streak, having succumbed 2-1 in overtime to both Cornell and the University of New Hampshire. Yet Big Green Coach Fran O'Leary must have been confident in the ability of his two major goal scorers, seniors Chris Pedrick and Chris Dedicheck, who have combined for 15 goals already this season.

But the Big Green may have overlooked an experienced and very capable Crimson defense, led by captain Andrew Lundquist and senior Lee Williams. Together, the two confused the Dartmouth attackers and held in check a team that thus far has scored 24 goals in only 13 games.

Dartmouth loves to play a very direct style of soccer, in which it consistently tries to make long passes ahead to its forwards who use their skills to score. To counter this,Harvard played a strategy in which it controlledthe ball and kept it on the ground, thereby eatingup valuable clock time and giving itself anadvantage.

The action started early as Dartmouth, whichdominated the opening minutes, was able to connectin the ninth minute. Junior Jamie Hozack dumped apass into Pedrick--the Big Green's leadingscorer--who promptly squared himself and beatHarvard senior goalkeeper Jordan Dupuis to thelower right corner. It seemed as if the Crimsonwas in for a very long afternoon.

Dartmouth continued its pressure thanks inlarge part to its physical play: The Big Greencommitted 23 of the game's 39 fouls. But everyDartmouth foul seemed to inspire the Crimson toplay even harder, and suddenly the Harvard playerswere leveling the "tough" Big Green players withregularity.

A win seemed in doubt until the 32nd minute,when junior Chinezi Chijioke was pulled downinside the goalkeeper's box by an overzealousdefender. On the ensuing penalty kick, juniorArmando Petruccelli beat Dartmouth's goalkeeper,6'4" Matt Nyman, to the top left corner to eventhe score. The goal brought the sullen crowd backto life, changing the aura of the crowd to hopefor a Crimson victory.

The half ended with the score knotted at one,despite some late attacks by the Big Green.Williams came in clutch on the defensive end as heconsistently helped to thwart the Big Greenattacks. The kangaroo-like Williams controlled theairways as he soared over numerous Dartmouthforwards to head crosses out of danger.

"I thought we really dictated play for the last20 minutes [of the first half]" Locker said. "Theylike to play a direct style, but we've done a goodjob keeping the ball on the floor and eating upthe clock."

With its confident attitude reaffirmed and ajubilant crowd at its back, the Crimson stormedonto the field for the second half of action. Thistime, it was Harvard who put consistent pressureon the Dartmouth goal. After several near-goals,the Crimson finally caught a break.

Freshman Nick Lenicheck began the attack bycharging down the left sideline. Using hisdeceptive speed, he was able to beat Dartmouthdefender Tui'one Faleafa, as he did consistentlyall afternoon. Lenichek sent a low cross towardthe net, which ricocheted off of sophomore WellsMangrum, who was in the right place at the righttime, and somehow found a wide-open Hench.

Hench showed impressive composure as hepatiently collected himself and sent a low, hardblast past Nyman.

"I took the ball off of a cross and trappedit," Hench said. "I tried to keep it low and hard;I think it actually went through the goalkeeper'slegs."

Just a minute and a half later, the Crimsonfound itself on the verge of breaking the gameopen as Hench, aligning what would have been hissecond goal of the game, was brought down in thebox by a defender. The already joyous crowd becameecstatic, but it was all for naught as Petruccellisent his penalty kick wide to the left.

Rather than being disheartened, the Crimsonplayers knew they had a great opportunity, andcontinued to play with a newfound tenacity.O'Leary continued to shout in a loud Irish tonguethat "the next goal's the key!" but it was not tobe. Harvard hung tough, as a diving save by Dupuisand a couple of poor shots by Dartmouth kept theCrimson in the lead.

Not even a scuffle down the stretch that sentfreshman Joey Smolen and Dartmouth co-captainBrendan Reidy to the bench with red cards coulddistract the Crimson from its goal. The Crimsonstormed the field at the end of the mostimpressive victory of its season thus far.

"I think [this victory] will give us theconfidence we need for the last few games," Henchsaid. "Hopefully, we can get a few victories."

Harvard is back in action on Wednesday againstthe University of Maine in Portland.

HARVARD, 2-1at Ohiri FieldDartmouth  1  0  --  1Harvard  1  1  --<  2

ScoringDar--Pedrick (Hozack, Lemley) 8:56.Har--Petruccelli (PK) 31:15.Har--Hench (Lenichek) 52:35.Saves: Dar--Nyman 4; Har--Dupuis 6.

CrimsonSeth H. PerlmanANDREW THE LUND: Captain ANDREWLUNDQUIST prepares to boot the during an earliergame.