Cabot House Adopts Universal Keycard Access

Winthrop, Dunster expected to follow suit

By Hoon-jung Kim, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Cabot House recently became the second House to experiment with universal keycard access, and Winthrop and Dunster Houses may soon join the club.

The doors of the six-buildings that make up Cabot House are now open to all undergraduates daily from 8 a.m. until midnight.

"It's been good so far," said Joel L. Negin '99, co-chair of the Cabot House Committee.

Quincy House opened its doors to residents of other Houses Nov. 2.

Winthrop House and Dunster House are also in the process of implementing universal keycard access, according to Undergraduate Council President Beth A. Stewart '00.

Stewart and other council representatives have been working with House masters and Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 since last spring to revamp keycard access policies.

Stewart said Winthrop could have universal keycard access as early as tomorrow and Dunster's plans will be finalized by the end of this week.

Council representatives said they played a key role in initiating discussions about universal keycard access, but the actual implementation was determined by House residents.

Negin said universal keycard access became a reality in Cabot "because the [Cabot House] Master and the students wanted it."

"We did a formal survey within the House, and it was basically unanimous [for universal access]," Negin said.

Unlike Quincy House whose computer room, junior common room and house library are only accessible to Quincy residents, all Cabot House doors requiring keycards can be opened by any undergraduate.

Cabot House's physical setup--multiple buildings in the midst of a neighborhood--poses potential security problems, said Senior Tutor Robert H. Neugeboren '83.

Negin said the prevalence of non-Harvard people in the vicinity of Cabot House may pose a risk to residents.

But Neugeboren said he believes the overall result will be positive. "It seems to me it should work. It should lead to less piggybacking," Neugeboren said.

Most Cabot students interviewed said they are pleased with the trial run.

"It's nice not to have to bother someone to let you in," said Angela A. Wu '01. "Quad residents eat in all three dining halls often, so having universal accessdefinitely makes for much more convenient dining."

A few Cabot residents said they had not heardabout their House's new policy.

"I didn't even know it had been implemented,"said Owen S. Allen '00. "I guess that means Ihaven't noticed any difference."

Negin said publicity has been minimal. "It'sbeen announced in a couple of House newsletters,"he said.

Quincy House Allston Burr Senior Tutor John P.Gerry said some students are still not aware ofQuincy's universal access policy.

"In the past few weeks several visitors haveasked me to let them in, and I've had to tell themthat their IDs will work. They were surprised andpleased when their cards did in fact open thedoors," Gerry said.

He said that Quincy residents' reaction to themonth-old policy hasgenerally been positive