HUCTW, HOOP Protest Sanctions Against Pro-Palestine Harvard Staff at Tuesday Rally

Harvard College Yield Rises Even After Tumultuous Year, Admissions Dean Says

Large Police Response at Harvard Graduate School of Education After 2 People Fall Off Balcony

Harvard Corporation Rejects FAS Effort to Let 13 Pro-Palestine Student Protesters Graduate

‘An Inflection Point’: Speakers Commend Encampment Protesters at Celebration for Arab Harvard Grads

Students Reflect on Elections

By Adam M. Taub, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Several Harvard student organizations met yesterday to discuss Tuesday's elections in which the Democrats picked up five seats in the House of Representatives and won several key races across the country.

The Republican Club held a meeting yesterday evening, discussing their party's losses with former GOP Representative Susan Molinari, currently a fellow at the Institute of Politics (IOP).

"[Tuesday] night was not as good a night as we would have hoped," Molinari said.

At their meeting, the campus Republicans spent less time lamenting their losses and more time discussing the direction the party should take now.

"Really we didn't lose that much in the election, but what it did do is it gave us a wake-up call," said Brian R. Smith '02, a member of the club.

"It's going to make us do an introspective look at the party," he said.

Molinari also said that the party needs to reevaluate its goals: "We need to ask 'how can we do better?'"

Most members of other student organizations reacted more favorably to the election results.

"Personally I was pleased with the outcome," said Isaac J. Weiler '02, a member of the Black Students Association (BSA).

Weiler added that the BSA put much effort into encouraging black people to get out and vote.

As it turned out, black voter turnout was high nationwide.

"Clearly, in a substantial number of districts, the African-American vote made the difference," Molinari said.

Meanwhile, Aditi Bagchi '99, political co-chair of the Asian American Association (AAA), said that although some Asian Americans may be disappointed with Republican Matt Fong's loss in California, she is pleased that "the party and the candidates who are doing the most to advance civil rights and social justice in the United States are starting to gain lost ground."

Bagchi emphasized, however, that the AAA makesno official political endorsements.

Adam A. Sofen '01, co-president of theBisexual, Gay, Lesbian and Transgender Supporters'Alliance, said Tuesday's results were "mixed" forgay voters.

"I'm thrilled that Tammy Baldwin [Democrat fromWisconsin] was the first gay non-incumbent ever tobe elected," said Sofen, who is also a Crimsoneditor.

"On the other hand, voters in Hawaii and Alaskaapproved bans on gay marriage," he said.

RAZA Vice President Gustavo A. Torres '99 sawthe Democrats' success as a sign that theMexican-American/Latino vote is becoming moreinfluential.

"I think that yesterday's election resultssuggest that Latinos were out voting. Particularlyin California, Latinos appear to have come out insupport of the Democratic nominees," Torres said.

Reflecting on why there was a change of power,Republicans said that there was a lack of unity inthe party.

Their failure to highlight a few key issuesperhaps contributed to their losses, Molinarisaid.

"Republicans were talking in twenty topics...wefailed to focus on three or four issues," shesaid.

Susan Eisenhower, a colleague of Molinari's atthe IOP, said the ad campaign focusing onPresident Clinton's affair with Monica S. Lewinskyhurt the party.

"I knew we were going to take a bath lastnight," Eisenhower said.

Co-President of the Republican Club C.J.Mahoney '00 put the GOP's loss into perspective.

"This was disappointing for us because we hadsuch great expectations. But when you take a stepback, we held Congress for the third time in arow," Mahoney said.

"It's not a disaster. It's not the kind ofrebuke that the Democrats received from theelectorate in 1994," he said