Eck Discusses Religious Pluralism in Hillel Speech

By Mary C. Cardinale, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Last night, Diana L. Eck, professor of comparative religion and Indian studies and co-master of Lowell House, discussed religious pluralism before 25 students at the Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel.

Eck began by making the distinction between diversity and pluralism.

"Diversity we definitely have, but pluralism is something else," Eck said. "Pluralism goes beyond tolerance to a certain amount of knowledge of who our neighbors are."

Eck, founder of The Pluralism Project at Harvard, which studies "the new religious landscapes of America," demonstrated a multimedia CD-ROM she helped create, called "On Common Ground: World Religions in America."

The Pluralism Project began in 1991 with the goals of documenting "who's here," how their religious traditions are changing in the American landscape and how America is changing in light of the new religious diversity, Eck said, and her CD-ROM speaks to each of these goals.

The CD-ROM includes a map highlighting religious organizations across America, a list outlining America's many religions and their traditions and descriptions of America's encounter with religious diversity, among other things.

Eck said she hopes this CD will serve as a major teaching tool in high schools. She also advocated greater interaction between people of different religions. "The most valuable thing is actually to meet people face to face and talk to them," she said.

Michael R. Brauwerman '99, cochair of Hillel's Forum Committee, said it was exactly this desire for greater awareness and understanding between the various faiths that prompted his committee to extend an invitation to Eck.

He said he hoped the talk would "broaden the scope of 'pluralism' from a Jewish concern...to a universal concern."

Eric A. Krieger'02 said he believed widespread ignorance still exists on the subject of religious pluralism.

"Most of the ignorance has been from people who aren't involved in these types of organizations or haven't experienced diversity before," he said.

However, Eck said that plenty of opportunities for learning about religious plurality existed at Harvard.

"It is interesting that here we are discussing religious pluralism, and it's the beginning of Islam Awareness Week at Harvard," she said. She noted that there are now Hindu and Buddhist organizations at Harvard.

However, Eck said that these religious eventsare not well attended by people who are notalready of that particular religion. "People dotend to stay in their own groove," she said.

Nevertheless, Eck said she believes religiouspluralism at Harvard is improving. "Religiousexpression is far more `out' at Harvard than ithas been in the past," she said.

Brauwerman agreed. "Harvard is definitely aplace where there's a lot more awareness andtolerance and friendship among people of differentfaiths," he said.

Brauwerman said he was encouraged by theturnout at the talk last night, which consistedmainly of undergraduates.

"We got a lot of people who aren't Hillelregulars," he said.

Several students said they were drawn to thelecture by Eck's presence.

"I read her book, Encountering God, andI really liked it, especially that idea that thereis no one superior religion and that there's a lotto be learned from all sorts of religions," saidPeggy T.Lim'01