Perfecting Prefecting

First-Years Evaluate the Upperclass Connection

By Tova A. Serkin, CONTRIBUTING WRITERS

Elizabeth M. Lewis '01, a prefect in Matthews Hall South, was inspired as a first-year by one of her own prefects in Matthews to join the program. Little did she know the commitment would result in a toga party with the University's President.

This Monday Lewis, (the daughter of Dean Harry R. Lewis '68) says her proctor group invited President Neil L. Rudenstine to a study break with a toga theme. Rudenstine not only showed up, but to the group's collective surprise the President also donned a toga and mingled with students for the duration of the gathering.

"It was great to see him mingling with the students," Lewis says.

From lending a helping hand to holding toga-theme study breaks, prefects have a noticeable presence on campus. Entering its thirteenth year, the Prefect Program has tried to ease first-years into life at Harvard while reducing the gulf between returning students and newcomers to the Yard. Administrators call the Prefect Program a link between College advising and the student experience.

"The prefects are a crucial support to both proctors and first-year students, helping support the programming that proctors do in their entries and playing a key role in helping students adjust to the nonacademic side of life at Harvard," Elizabeth Studley Nathans, Dean of freshmen, says in a recent e-mail.

According to the Prefect Program Handbook, the program was launched because undergraduates believed "first-year students would benefit from more contact with upperclassmen."

Although time conflicts and increasing workloads are obstacles to active service, most first-year students see prefects as a reliable resource for campus information.

"Having the prefects there if you don't have anyone else to talk to I think is really important," says Jesse G. Zalatan '02 of Greys Hall East.

As the program approaches its 15th birthday, most students agree that prefects are an important part of the first-year experience. Especially when it comes to scheduling and getting used to life in an entryway.

"It's nice to be able to have upperclassmen to talk to about classes or dorm life," Zalatan says.

Student descriptions of prefects and their effectiveness often vary. Some view the prefects as resources for information and access to the world of Houses, while others simply enjoy the weekly free food at study breaks.

"They kind of serve as role models and provide entertainment to freshmen," said Jondou J. Chen '02 a resident of Strauss Hall.

"They've been leaders for us and given us advice," says Michael P. Tully '02 who lives in Matthews Hall North. "They're like big brothers and sisters."

Prefects say they believe the relationship is symbiotic, with both first years and their upperclass counterparts benefiting from the program.

"It's actually very refreshing as a senior to get to know freshmen," says Tally Zingher '99, a prefect in Grays Hall.

"I like being connected to the younger class," says Adam D. Colvin '00, a prefect in Thayer. "I know people in the freshman and sophomore class and I like helping them adjust."

"I remember being a freshman," he added. "It was hard."

First-years usually appreciate the efforts put in by older students, acknowledging that busy schedules can be difficult to manage.

"I think it's a pretty big time commitment," Chen says. "I'm sure it's a pain in the butt."

But coordinators say the program has a high retention rate. Prefect Program Director Sam Herring says 85 to 95 percent of eligible prefects return for a second year. A considerable number even choose to stay on, serving three years as a prefect.

"It has been gratifying to watch the program grow better-organized and more effective in each of the past several years," Nathans says.

Cathrin M. Bauer '00 was a prefect last year, and decided to return for a second tour of duty. She says her goal, like Colvin, is to help first-years make the adjustment to college life as smoothly as possible.

"We try to focus on making the entryway a community," Bauer says of her visits to Holworthy West.

Prefects agree that their role is an important one in helping to strengthen the Harvard first-year community.

According to Colvin, prefects should "relax the incoming students, take the pressure off and help them adjust."

Social activities planned by prefects range from the traditional weekly study break to trips into Boston for dinner and sightseeing. In many cases prefect efforts focus on turning otherwise mundane events into unique affairs.

Bauer has taken her prefect group ice-skating and out to dinner. She says one study break around Halloween even featured a haunted house. Other innovative ideas include holding study breaks in the most unlikely of places.

"My entryway is known for its off-the-wall study breaks," says D. Cody Dydek '02 of Matthews Hall North.

Off the wall, and into the shower. Dydek says that his evening shower was once interrupted by his proctor group when--lead by intrepid prefects--the group decided to storm the bathroom as an innovative study break.

Students themselves have also used creative license in planning study breaks and other events.

Lewis gives credit to those in the group for generating--and realizing--President Rudenstine's visit.

"It was a really neat idea that the students had," she recalls.

First-years on the third and fourth floor of Hurlbut Hall have also hosted a variety of interesting events to give their entryway mates a break from tedious homework.

Three weeks ago, Katrien R. Naessens '02 took planned what she deems one of the most popular study breaks this year. Naessens decided a beach party theme would be a fun way to relievestress.

"I love doing crazy things like that," shesaid. "They really foster group dynamics."

Naessens says that although her perfects alwaysattend entryway meetings, often toting food andother refreshments, without student help studybreaks become routine.

"We always come up with a theme, but nothingever happens," she says, "It's kind of boring."

The responsibility for organizing study breaksseems to be split among prefects and first-years.

Some entryways assign responsibility forevents. Others, like Lewis', generate ideas ontheir own.

"Students sign-up to host study breaks, and theprefects call them and sometimes suggest themeideas," Tully says of his group's proceduralapproach.

But prefects say that there are many outsidefactors that often interfere with study breaks andother activities.

Many prefects lament the fact that homework andon-campus events have reduced participation.

"At the beginning, attendance was large," Lewissays, noting that participation has slumped since,due in part to apathy but primarily a result ofincreasing time conflicts.

"We've had trouble getting people out to theactivities with so much else going on," Bauersays.

The key, Bauer says, may be trying to find waysto coordinate activities at times when a largesegment of the group is able to attend.

"It just depends on how you adapt to thegroup," she says, adding that she has scheduledevents progressively later in the day to avoidconflicts.

Bauer, in her second year as a prefect, plansto return for a third.

"Oh, no question," she says

"Oh, no question," she says