Hammond Models Himself After 'The Body' Ventura

By Kevin E. Meyers, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Gerard P. Hammond '02 likens his candidacy for vice president to that of Minnesota's governor-elect Jesse "The Body" Ventura. He's got the politics and physique to prove it.

Hammond's campaign slogan is "The People's Candidate," and his roommate, Ken F. Tsang '02, calls the 6'3," 220 lb. Brooklyn native a "gentle giant."

Hammond says he hopes Ventura's successful bid for office foreshadows his own victory in Cambridge.

"I'm a new guy, running on the basis of the common man," he says. "As in touch with the students as anybody is."

Hammond, a first-year living in Stoughton Hall and the cheerleader who waves the large "H" flag at football games, has never served on the Undergraduate Council.

He says he is running to rework what he perceives as a "bureaucratic system" that exists in an "ivory tower," and wants to bring the council back to the students.

Hammond has attended most of the council meetings this month, he says, in an effort to get a feel for how the institution works. He says "the [council] stereotypes are common because things have been done in an inefficient way."

He cites Springfest, universal keycard access and cable TV as the centerpieces of his campaign.

"It's definitely a good thing to get a big time band [for Springfest]," says Hammond, who attended last year's Springfest on pre-frosh weekend. He says the council should use its newfound $40,000 to lure a good band to the event.

Hammond also says universal keycard access should have been implemented long ago.

"It just seems like things that make sense aren't done, like universal keycard access," he says.

He said serving as vice president would complement his experiences as a Harvard cheerleader, where he says he has "gotten to show how psyched I am about being at this place."

First, however, he must win the election, which some say is especially difficult for first-years.

Outgoing vice president Samuel C. Cohen '00 says first-years have extra challenges while vying for votes.

"I think it's very hard within the first three months of coming to a new place to really have a grasp of what you're getting into," Cohen says.

"In Gerard's case," he adds, "although he has come to a few meetings, he also has the disadvantage of not serving on the council."

Cohen acknowledges that an exceptional first-year could, however, be a successful vice president.

"As a general case, at this point a first-year isn't ready to assume the position of vice president," he says, "but there are exceptions to every rule."

The last first-year to hold a leadership position on the council was Lamelle D. Rawlins '99, who served as secretary.

Hammond's candidacy has been endorsed by the Sigma Chi fraternity, which he is pledging.

Andrew M. Stoll '99, Hammond's big brother at Sigma Chi, says he thinks that Hammond is an exceptional candidate.

"I think the guy is quite amazing," Stoll says. "The kid's got unbelievable heart and he's so full of ideas."

Hammond also participates in a tutoring program sponsored by the Catholic Students Assocation.