Susan Feagin Leaves Capital Campaign Drive

Development officer heads to Michigan

By James Y. Stern, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Susan K. Feagin, Harvard's second-ranking development officer, has announced plans to leave Harvard in favor of the University of Michigan, raising questions about the future of Harvard's $2.1 billion Capital Campaign.

Michigan's Board of Regents approved Feagin for her new post at its meeting last Friday.

Feagin will take over the position on May 4 of this year, leaving her current job as Harvard's director of development.

Feagin, described by colleagues as "highly effective," leaves Harvard with $500 million remaining to be raised in the $2.1 billion campaign.

More than 75 percent of the campaign's target goal has been raised thus far, and development officials say the drive is ahead of schedule.

Feagin has played an integral role in the success of the fundraising drive, according to Thomas M. Reardon, vice president of development.

"She's been phenomenally effective," Reardon said.

Reardon said Feagin's departure is "a big loss," but he insisted the campaign will not be hindered by Feagin's leaving.

"The campaign has a very strong staff, as well as support from the University's leadership," Reardon said. "In that sense we're in a strong position."

Feagin is one of four "key players" in development operations, said Bailey F. Mason '51, a retired director of corporate foundation relations for Harvard.

"She would be difficult to replace," he said. "There's always a jolt when a key player leaves, but we hope that won't last very long."

"I'm not saying it won't have an impact, but the organization will be able to pick up where she left off," he continued.

Feagin's departure would have less of an impact on the current campaign than on future endeavors, said a high-ranking Mass. Hall source.

"I thought she had an important future here at Harvard for the next campaign. That's a disappointment," said the source.

"I wish it weren't happening. I would have tried to talk her out of it if I couldhave," the source added.

Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles said thecampaign will continue on course without Feagin.

"We have an excellent team in place for thelast lap," he said.

According to Mason, the situation is not dire.

"The campaign is clearly going to go over thetop," he said.

Various officials within the development officesaid that the management structure within theoffice is "team-oriented" and therefore flexibleenough to allow Feagin to leave.

Administration officials excused the timing ofFeagin's career move, calling the opportunity forpromotion at the University of Michigan animportant one.

"These things are always a surprise, Reardonsaid. "One doesn't always have flexibility tochoose timing in an ideal way."

He added that Feagin had not been looking for ajob.

Mason said departures such as Feagin's were notunusual.

"It's not uncommon in big institutions near theend of a successful campaign for otherinstitutions to try and get important people fromthat campaign, Mason said.

Feagin said she is leaving to realize what shetermed "a remarkable opportunity" with theUniversity of Michigan, citing the enthusiasmgenerated by new Michigan President Lee C.Bollinger.

"Lee Bollinger has brought a new vision andexcitement to the university," she said.

She added that her move from director ofdevelopment to vice president was an attractivepromotion.

"It's a step up from the number two spot to thenumber one spot--I'll get to work directly withpresident's staff," she explained.

Feagin said she expects the capital campaignwill be able to continue effectively without her.

"The development staff is very strong and verydeep," she said. "They will see the campaignthrough to a very successful completion.